This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Electrolysis Tanks and - Safety First

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Electrolysis Tanks and - Safety First

Postby Rudi » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:08 am

Sometimes my fingers work quicker than my brain gets into gear. Anecdotal observations are based on personal experience and should be taken as that. Not necessarily applicable in all situations. So, let me clarify this:

When using electrolysis tanks, there is always a risk of Off-Gassing of Hydrogen Gas. Hydrogen Gas is extremely explosive and if there is any chance of accumulations then that risk MUST be addressed. So, when building a system.. I agree with Carl.. and I shoulda left really said that above along with my anecdotal response. Here are a few guidelines that may be useful. These are open to editing as needed in case of error.

1. Ensure that your tank setup is used in a very safe and well ventilated area. Outside is good as any off-gassing will be dispersed naturally.

2. If using your tank setup in an enclosed space, do design and provide a good externally vented exhaust system to vent any possible Hydrogen Gas build up from off-gassing.

3. When using an externally vented, powered exhaust system, care must be taken to ensure that any risk from explosion caused by sparking on motor startup is dealt with. A sealed motor would be best. At the minimum, start your vent system PRIOR to starting your electrolysis tank.

4. Always apply common sense to these types of tasks. IF in doubt.. PLEASE, PLEASE do post the question and one of our members with experience in those areas will undoubtedly post a suitable helpful response.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “Safety Forum”