This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Beewers Grains?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Beewers Grains?

Postby beaconlight » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:24 am

With all the talk of Ethanol I wonder about the resulting Brewers Grains. Are they good animal feed? How much of the original feed value is left? I know my friend Al Cobb fed them at one time but he has passed to his reward so I can't ask him.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Beewers Grains?

Postby Hengy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:44 am

I think that is what happens with the spent grain after the brewing process. Most of it goes to hog feed or animal feed. It is fairly high in protein since most of the "carbohydrate" has been spent on growing Yeast cultures and conversion to alcohol. There are a couple of references I have seen online about selling or "donating" the spend mash to animal (mostly hog and Dairy/Beef) farmers...

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:59 pm

Once the alcohol/ethanol is extracted the residue - brewers grain is sold to local famers. The residue is mixed with other animal type feed stocks and fed to livestock.

Ethanol production - corn utilization has only accounted for about 1.5% of the incease in the price of food at the grocery store.

There are a lot of very biased opinions featured on TV about ethanol production - for and against. As I see the problem - neither side tells the whole story. Each side will present some high statistic bolstering their argument - but convientently leaves out the other side. Example: An ethanol plant uses ?? milion gallons of water a day - leaving people to believe that the water is just gone - then discussing water shortages. They leave out the fact that just about all of the water is recycled.
I have an excuse. CRS.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:12 pm

Thanks. I figured there is some residual good to it.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

Postby LiL' Red » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:53 pm

The by product, DDGS contains about 30% protein and 10% fat. Yield is about 17 lbs per bushel of corn. Cattle love it!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:21 pm

Carbon dioxide is the third product resulting from ethanol production. Carbon dioxide is captured and sold. The product precentage given was 1/3 ethanol, 1/3 brewers grain and 1/3 carbon dioxide. A factoid from an interesting interview on "Missouri Ag Today", a PBS program on corn and ethanol production.

According to the interview, the only thing that excapes the ethanol plant is a bit of water vapor. Everything else is either sold or recycled within the plant.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”