This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hood/Tank Support

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Hood/Tank Support

Postby johnbron » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:58 pm

Well I spent a bunch of money on the gas-tank/hood that I am putting on My Cub. Now a problem jumped up at me. My original hood-support has the long sides and come to find out after getting this tank patched and sealed that this tank takes the (short-side) hood support. Have any of you Cub gurus found a simple fix for this problem such as adapting them together in any way?.

If I get a short-side support that matches this hood will I run into any other sheet metal fit problems?. Dog-Legs Etc.
Then came Bronson

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:03 pm

Bronson,

If the instrument knockouts are the same, you can exchange panels without any difficulty. You can also cut the "horns" off on the panel you have and drill new holes. There is no other difference.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:14 pm

Thanks George, Your info is relieving to the mind. I think I will try the horn cut and drilling new holes method first. Now I will have to figure out how much horn to prune as I have nothing to compare it to.
Then came Bronson

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:21 pm

JB,

You can use the hood/tank as a template. Put the dash up against the hood and make some marks.

I was lax in answering your e-mail...but yes :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:33 pm

johnbron wrote:Thanks George, Your info is relieving to the mind. I think I will try the horn cut and drilling new holes method first. Now I will have to figure out how much horn to prune as I have nothing to compare it to.

Bronson,

In that case, take the panel loose and use the tank as a templet. Of course, you could also make a pattern from the tank to guide the cut on the "horns".

If it is any help... Scruffy ('53) finally has the right combination, an early panel with an early tank. His correct combination would be the late one. I really don't want to replace his beautiful tank!

You could simply drill another set of holes and it would look more correct without the cut.
George Willer

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:12 pm

Whew :!: :!:

When I saw Mr. GW's post after mine I thought I screwed up. Nothing like that, it's just one of us can't spell. :lol: :lol: :lol:

JB,

If you elect not to cut it you will have to put some faux screws in the forward holes or fill them.

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:28 pm

JB..When are you gonna show us some pictures anyway :?:

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:48 pm

Thanks for the good advice Fellas. I like the idea of no cutting so I will try that first and see how it goes. Its been a hectic day and I haven`t had a chance to do anything with it so when I get a chance I will give all of your suggestions a trial run and decide from there. I personally like the long-horn look better.

mltiema wrote:JB..When are you gonna show us some pictures anyway :?:

mltiema, I have been posting pictures so here is the last pics I took if you missed them. Took these about a month ago.

http://[Sorry: Tinypic.com not allowed].com/xtfo

http://[Sorry: Tinypic.com not allowed].com/q0kx

http://[Sorry: Tinypic.com not allowed].com/q0oz

http://[Sorry: Tinypic.com not allowed].com/q0lj
Then came Bronson

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:57 pm

Forgive my butt-in, but did the long/short hood support thing run right through the entire production of Cubs? My '67's doglegs seem to be too short. After careful examination, I can't see where the hood is out of place enough to cause them to be too short. The hood's bolted right to the radiator supports where it should be. There isn't an excessive amount of clearance between the hood and radiator tank.

How much difference is there between the long and short doglegs?

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:11 pm

Matt,

The hood support JB is talking about actually serves as both a support and the dash.

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:20 pm

Thanks
It is looking very nice. I believe you said you were spraying everything with the CaseIH 2150 spray cans... Looks like its covering real good. How many cans so far? Are you doing the hood, tank and fenders with the little cans too?

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:46 pm

mltiema wrote:Thanks
It is looking very nice. I believe you said you were spraying everything with the CaseIH 2150 spray cans... Looks like its covering real good. How many cans so far? Are you doing the hood, tank and fenders with the little cans too?

Yup, the fenders, wheels & complete back-end were done before last winter all with spray cans. All I have left to paint is hood, grill,dash & complete front axle which I am going to remove as I think it will be easier to finish off of the tractor. I dont know how many cans of paint I have used so far but I saved them for a final count when finished. I am not using I-H paint, I am using X-O Rust brand (Tractor-Red) paint cause its the best I have found in a spray-can. Applies easy with a high gloss.
Then came Bronson

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:20 am

I understand that they're talking about the rear hood support. It goes to figure that if there are short and long hood supports, that there are also short and long doglegs.

I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with the hood on my '67 Cub (late square hood style). The grill fits well, which means the hood isn't out of shape. The crank hole in the grill lines up with the crank hole in the front casting, so the hood isn't sitting too high. It's just that the doglegs seem to be too short to bolt in place as they should at the bottom.

Seems that there are no suggestions. Thanks anyway.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:38 am

Matt, when we talk about long and short dash panels we are not talking about height. It is the ears that wrap around the hood / tank. The early ones wrapped further around the tank than the later ones.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:40 am

Matt Kirsch wrote:I understand that they're talking about the rear hood support. It goes to figure that if there are short and long hood supports, that there are also short and long doglegs.

Matt,

This won't help your problem, but it may help clarify the long/short issue. The difference is not in height... they are all the same. It refers to the length of the top edge where the support and tank meet. Your Cub requires the short one. All doglegs for round hoods are alike, (except for emblems) and the square hoods require a different type. Do you have the right ones?
George Willer

Return to “Farmall Cub”