This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New to Cubs, couple of simple questions (to start)

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

New to Cubs, couple of simple questions (to start)

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:11 pm

I just retrieved a 1971 Cub from TN. (that would be 1000 miles in each direction!) It is in decent shape, purrs like a kitten and will be used to mow a reclaimed field and woods roads up in Maine.
Figured I would do all the PM before I take it north.
So, I have changed the oil/filter and will change the coolant. I ordered a complete wiring harness, cap, wires, rotor etc. and will change that stuff out when I get it.
There are a couple of questions that I cannot seem to find the answers to:
What do the letters on the light switch mean? (4 positions)
Where can you find the original wire end (female) connectors for the headlights and the tail light?
This one has a flashing yellow light on a bracket and this and the rear light (stop and backup?) are apparently not part of the harness according to the dealer I ordered from. Any tips on wiring that?
I am thinking of changing the oil in the hydraulics and am looking for tips on that. Hate to make a mess of it!
Thanks for your wisdom!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Welcome!

Postby allenlook » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:17 pm

Welcome to the C(l)ub. I am also from Maine - DownEast actually, in the Machias area. Congratulations on your new purchase, and many great years of mowing!
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:59 am

BW, I'm not sure, but I think on a 71 with a 4 position switch the positions would have been Off Rear Dim Bright. The wire harness should come with the terminals for the lights attached.

Got ot Rudi's manual server to get a ot of questions answered
http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/index.html
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Server down?

Postby allenlook » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:06 pm

I still can't connect to the server today - since about 8:00 last night actually... Is it down?
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:18 pm

AllenLook:

Yup, the server is down unfortunately. Will let all know when it is back up again.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:18 pm

Thanks! Manuals would come in handy!
Spent the day cleaning the grease and Tennessee earth off the new baby. NOW it would be nice to do some painting! But all in all she cleaned up nice. I think I found all the grease fittings.
I will replace the wires and ignition components when the stuff comes in.
Still a bit leery of draining the hydraulic system, anyone have encouragement?? It does make a bit of a 'pulsing' noise, especially with no load on the hydraulics (belly mower on ground). I don't know, but suspect low fluid??
Have a bit of a gas leak on the carb. Sorta looks like the main (top/bottom) gasket.
Thanks again!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:49 pm

Buzzard Wing,

Don't worry about changing the fluid's...quite easy :lol: (maybe messy) :lol: use Hy-Tran to re-fill it.

By a gasket leak, do you mean that it's leaking between the throttle body and the bowl :?: If so it's most likley sucking air when running. A good IH carb kit and a trip to Rudi's server will do the trick. 8)

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:38 am

Thanks... and Rudy's server is back up this morning! THANKS RUDY!
I figured it is not a huge deal to change the hyd oil, I was just a little leery of some 'danger' like getting air in the lines or something like that. I always go slow on something new.
The carb appears to be leaking from the gasket between the top and bottom part, (exactly as you say). I suppose it is worth the rebuild kit since I have it in the garage anyway.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:22 am

Buzzard Wing,

Do yourself a huge favor and get the IH kit. They are a little more $$ but well worth it in quality and components.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:56 pm

Did a little shopping when up in Maine. Should have looked for the carb kit, but I did get the HyTran (2 gallons) and the 3 way plug for the rear light from a dealer 'down east'.
I will take a better look at the carb and see if I can determine the cause of the leak. I think the local Cadet dealer may have the kit in stock or I will order it from the fine folks in Wis where the other parts are coming from.
Thanks again~!

KYMike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KYMike » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:45 pm

Is there an online source for carb rebuild kits?
'53 Cub - You can make a small fortune in farming, provided you start with a large one.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:55 pm

Check out the for sale / wanted forum on this site. Weber's has a good deal on them.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:11 pm

Bigdog wrote:Check out the for sale / wanted forum on this site. Weber's has a good deal on them.

:mrgreen: Well I hate ta be I hate ta be called a "Hog" but I bought the last 2 kits that weber had. SORRY :mrgreen:
Then came Bronson

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:16 pm

SOOOOOOOOOWEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

(I got a couple of 'em myself!)
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:41 pm

Boo hoo. I only got one.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”