This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

HyTran in the rear end too? What about the steering box?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

HyTran in the rear end too? What about the steering box?

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:20 pm

This is sorta related to my other 'many questions' post, but a little more specific.
The chart at the Case/IH dealer said to use HyTran in the rear end, so instead of getting a gallon of gear oil I got two of HyTran.
Is that correct??
Also what about the steering box?
Is this the miracle one lube answer???
I am awaiting the wiring harness and will start on the hydraulic pump and rear end tomorrow, along with the radiator.
Thanks!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:14 pm

I think the later model Cubs used Hy-Trans in the tranny but doubt you would use it in the steering box. I use 90-weight in almost everything but the engine.
Then came Bronson

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:53 am

It will work but will be more prone to leaking.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:50 am

Found that I had printed a lube chart from somewhere and it said gear lube or Hy-Tran. The gear lube to use was dependent on the temps (80 or 90 wt).

Since I went all the way to Maine to get the Hy-Tran I think I will give it a try. I bought 2 gallons and only have a little gear lube around the garage, two different brands no less!

The chart indicates some special stuff for the steering box, so I may just skip that for now.

Actually, I was in Maine anyway and saw it as a good chance to visit a couple of dealers and poke around the lots and gather some knowledge. Even saw a dual rear wheel cub at Waterman's!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”