This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

oil from gear shift

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
IndyScott
10+ Years
10+ Years

oil from gear shift

Postby IndyScott » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:17 pm

Hi All,

After I finish mowing and the '56 cub sits for a while, I see some oil on the gear shift cover plate? What is the cause and how can I repair this problem?

Also, what is the procedure for taking the hood off to access the spark plugs and generator belt?

Thanks, Scott
If it ain't broke, I didn't work on it..........

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:40 pm

IndyScott,

Welcome to the board :!: :)

First thing is to check the fluid level in the transmission. It may be over full with water, this is common. The level check is on the left side of the transmission. It's a small pipe plug. If fluid drains then it was over full. The tranny will only hold 3 1/2 pints of fluid. If the level is correct and the fluid is coming from the base plate then a gasket is in order, an easy fix :!: If the fluid is coming forn the shift lever itself that's another story. Mr. GW has written an exellent atricle about that fix and it's located on Rudi's server.

As for the hood, you'll have to disconnect the lights and the fuel line. Remove the dog legs, the air cleaner cover, and the muffler if so
equipped. Under the dog legs there are 2 5/16-18 bolts (one on each side) these connect the hood to the radiator supports. At the opposite end of the hood there are 4 1/4-20 bolts holding the dash to the hood.

Once the the 5/16 and the 1/4 bolts are removed the hood will lift off.

Get some manuals :!: it will be well worth it. But in the mean time checkout Rudi's server:

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/index.html

He tells me it's a labor of love :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

IndyScott
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby IndyScott » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:48 pm

Thanks Donny,

I'll try those tips this weekend. Great site, and thanks for the help.

Scott
If it ain't broke, I didn't work on it..........

Return to “Farmall Cub”