This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Adjustable Axles info.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Adjustable Axles info.

Postby EZ » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:46 am

If you have trouble getting the adjustable front axle apart, that would be normal after 40 or 50 years. On the '67 Lo, one side came out by hand, WOW that was nice! It's mate however was more stubborn, but came around after a little coaxing, and a few threats of using a bigger hunk of hammer. That was fine, cleaned everything up real good and went to re-insert. Again, one side slid in and out no problem (especially with a nice application of "no sieze") but the evil one would go in just over half way and begin to bind. I did not want to leave it like that, where you would have to hammer away at it if you ever wanted to adjust it again. I set out to find the problem. AHAH! (that's a backwards laugh!)
It seems when the good folks at IH welded the spindle into this offending piece of pipe the pipe took on an oblong shape at the spindle end, which in effect widened the pipe down it's length enough to cause it to bind.
SOLUTION: Use a grinder and a file to take off "humps" from top and bottom of pipe. Take off a bit at a time. You could use a micrometer or something similar to measure as you go along. Also keep trying it into the axle 'til it slides easily in & out and you are "good to go".

Hpe this helps someone else. Sorry no pics.
Just Do It !

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

If ever...

Postby allenlook » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:34 am

EZ,

If I ever get mine apart, I'll be sure to check that!

Still soaking in the electrolysis tank, and the next attempt will be with a cable come-along between two trees - a spinoff of the two-bottle-jack method. I don't have two bottle jacks, but I do have the cable come-along... I've already bought about $500 in tools to work on the Cub so I'll try to get away with not having to buy two jacks that will rarely get used again (already have two quick-heist shop jacks), but hey, mo' tools mo' better!
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:56 am

It's too late to help you Allen, but one way to help loosen the adjustable axles is to loosen the clamps and replace the pins with smaller ones and just go ahead and use it for awhile. To free wheels that are stuck to the hubs it also works to loosen the lug bolts about 1/2 to 1 turn and just drive it around a little.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:00 am

Allenlook wrote:
I've already bought about $500 in tools to work on the Cub

That what projects are all about :!: :!: :lol: :lol: You can bet that whenever I start a project I'm going to need some new tools. I tell Merry "I really have to have this to do the job" :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Too late...

Postby allenlook » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:21 pm

But I think she's starting to suspect something... This project was my excuse to get into pneumatic tools :)

I think I overloaded the HarborFreight website with orders for cheap Chinese tools :D:D:D
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:14 pm

Would a Hi Lift jack work to push the pieces apart? I have used it as a clamp, but never the opposite. Supposed to work for that.
That is one handy tool!
I have used it to collapse a snowmobile suspension to get a coil over shock in and to lift a barn corner to replace the sill. It can also be used as a come-a-long too.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Hi-Lift

Postby allenlook » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:00 am

Do you mean one of those jacks on a 3 or 4 foot I-beam? That's a good idea. You still might need two because you have to be able to press the axles evenly or they'll bind...

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:53 pm

My mistake.... you can use it as a clamp and a winch but not to 'push' things apart. It was one of those rare moments when I was not thinking (yeah right!)
I have one mounted in my truck bed.... just so I never need it!

Regardless, it can be a handy (although somewhat unstable) tool.
http://www.hi-lift.com/jacks_main.htm
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:17 pm

Buzzard Wing wrote:My mistake.... you can use it as a clamp and a winch but not to 'push' things apart.
What would be different in using it to push things apart and jacking something up other than it might be laying horizontal?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:09 pm

Good point... too many fumes trying to get the hydraulic oil stains off the Cub apparently.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

'Lectro stew

Postby allenlook » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:01 am

No go with the axles after the 'lectro stew, although they do look nice w/no paint or grease on them :)

Back to Harbor Freight!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:58 am

Allen:

Now that they have come out of the tank and look good, it is probably time to go back to the old tried and true method of taking these axles apart.

I tried everything I could think of and every penetrating oil I could lay my hands on. None of them worked. BUT - I finally tried Solvo-Rust from Loctite and now I use it a lot. When Kroil don't do it, SR ceertainly does.

Spray some onto each axle, wait a while and observer the wicking. Keep adding little bits at a time whenever you are near the axle or walking by. After a couple of days, try stretching the axles apart again. Keep them under pressure, add more SR and within a few days they should just pop apart.

Cheers
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:15 am

Rudi I have been looking for that Solvo-Rust by Loctite everywhere in my area and venders look at me funny with a (Never-heered-o-that-stuff-afore) look on there face. :twisted: What kind of store are you buying yours at in your area?.
Then came Bronson

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

OK

Postby allenlook » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:51 am

Thanks Rudi,

I'll look for some today!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:11 am

JB:

Now ain't that a switch :!: :shock: :? :roll:
Normally it is me who can't find a product. :cry:

I get it a Maritime Fasteners. They deal in all of the Loctite products. I will try and remember to bring the can up to the house tonight and I will post the stock numbers. That should help you locate some.

I have seen it in a couple other places, NAPA being one of them. You probably won't find it at PEP Boys or places like that as Canada Trash doesn't carry it nor does Wal-Mart.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”