This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

chickens

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
ellen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: chickens

Postby ellen » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:33 pm

I have 5 RIR hens hope to get eggs in Sept. If you haven't already check out backyardchickens.com lots of info there.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

boldpsi
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13104
Tractors Owned: 1979 IH Cub - 253598

Postby boldpsi » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:44 pm

my friend and i have been raising chickens for a couple of years now, all at his house because he has a barn. this year, we're building a coop at my house!

a couple of remarks, tho, about the posts:
1. i don't know about the magnet thing, but this strangely similar process definitely works... when my wife was pregnant, we didn't want to know the sex of the baby. however, a friend's mother insisted on trying this "trick":
take her wedding ring, put it on the longest strand of her hair you can find, have her lied down on her back, and do the same thing as the magnet "trick", except you suspend the ring right over her navel area. it proved true for both of our children... spoooooooooooky :shock: she was Dutch, and learned the "trick" from her grandmother when she was pregnant.
2. a rooster is NOT REQUIRED for hens to lay eggs.
3. a rooster IS REQUIRED to hens to lay fertile eggs from which chicks can be hatched.

thanks!
dave
boldpsi@windstream.net
1979 International Cub, rebuilt motor 1997; 5' Woods belly mower, C22 5' sickle-bar mower, 193 -bottom land plow, IH 54A push-plow/grader, heavy-duty chains, loaded tires, wheel weights. Original red commemorative paint.

Kevin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kevin » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:42 am

I put an 4'x8' addition on chicken coop this weekend as we purchased 16 more barred rocks chicks and we have 10 RR hens laying already.
Question is when is a safe time to add the young chicks to the coop with the older hens ? :? ... I have NO roosters never had any luck with them from being mean :( ....I read when the chicks have all their feathers on to put them in while a little small but about how many weeks would be
safe? :)

thanks

:{_}:
Kevin's 49er

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:45 am

If you have room after the younger birds are 3/4 grown and getting around very well.
Take one of the older birds and put them in the pen with the younger, try that first. By taking an older bird out of its territory, this will acclimate the younger to the older make sure there is adequate room or they will get smothered or trampled.
Make sure there is room that is a must,she (The Older bird) will want to seek out here group ,so a sight barrier may be a good Idea between pens. I have used this techniqe on Quail with good success. They are very territorial, and by interjecting the older ,this will give them a big SISTER. When you decide to put them togetther
hope this helps.
Phil
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

smigelski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08070
Tractors Owned: JD 4040
JD 301A
Ford 3910
Oliver 770
FCub 1947
Fcub 1952
Farmall 100

Postby smigelski » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:57 pm

I am not a professional chicken master by any means, but everytime I have put smaller chickens in with bigger chickens the smaller ones got beaten up bad or killed. since you have added onto the coup seperate it untill the rocks are full size. then have a large door between the 2 halves. this way the next time you get more chicks the program and space is already set up.

Kevin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kevin » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:59 pm

i currently have the coop sectioned off but wanted to know if i should introduce them before the rocks get too big or if its better to do it when they get big. so
i'll probably wait till they are a good size compared too the reds and see how it works out.. thanks i don't want to chance it but the coop area for chickens is a 8'x10' seems like a good size for the 26 total chickens when adult right now the rock chicks have a small 3'x5' area fenced off till big.
thanks for the advice hope it works when the time comes!!! :D
Kevin's 49er

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Dusty B » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:12 am

Have 25 R I reds & 25 Barred Rocks a month old - hope to put the roosters in the freezer in another month or so then farm out the pullets and head south for the winter! Has been a fun project so far. Looking for a feed grinder tho so I can grind my own grain. W/start earlier next year! Dusty
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

Kevin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kevin » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:59 pm

when we got the RR chicks it was november and when we got the barred rock chicks it was july

liked when we got the in november had a huge box we kept them in the garage and me and my daughter age 5
kept an eye on them together every day and now the rhode island reds come to ya better than my dog
when you yell "come on girls" they come running like crazy at ya and when you walk over they squat down
for ya to pick them up they are definitely spoiled for chickens they never run from ya
Kevin's 49er

ellen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ellen » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:39 am

ellens cub wrote:I have 5 RIR hens hope to get eggs in Sept. If you haven't already check out backyardchickens.com lots of info there.

Well right on cue my girls started laying in Sept. 3-5 eggs a day. Unfortunately, about 2 weeks ago, some dogs came into the yard while we were at work and made off with 3 of them and left a forth badly maimed. :big crying: We now only have 1 and she is very lonely. :censored: dogs.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:39 am

Do you have a .410 shotgun, Ellen?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

ellen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ellen » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:54 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Do you have a .410 shotgun, Ellen?

We have every guage shotgun made but it doesn't do any good If you don't catch them.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:55 pm

True. :(
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:21 pm

I have heard of sexing chickens with a magnet. Seemed strange to me.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Postby daddydip » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:43 am

i'll tell you reading this post has given me all the motivation i need to get back on this chicken coop project.i'm going small though,last coop was a 12x10 shed and it's down the bottom falling apart right now. i'll set it ablaze after a good snow this winter. of course after i dig all that gold out of the floor, and transfer it to the gardens.some much work so little time. :)
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”