This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Floatation tires

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dieselrider
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16656
Tractors Owned: 1977 Cub 184 Lowboy
1979 John Deere 2640
2013 Kubota L3800 TLB
1949 International Cub

Floatation tires

Postby Dieselrider » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:52 pm

What was the idea with the flotation tires over the standard width, more traction? Wouldn't the narrower tire bite in more? Just wondering. One of the reasons I would consider a three point hitch would be to allow for a tiller on the back but, I would think a four footer would be about the limit in size and that would not be wide enough to cover the big tire tracks unless it offset a bit. Would the rotation of the pto limit the choice of tillers to only IH that were made for the cub? I am under the impression the pto spins back wards from traditional tractors? Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Floatation tires

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:21 pm

Flotation tires are what the name implies. They spread the weight out more so they do not have as much tendency to make ruts when the ground id soft.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:27 am

I just picked up some of the 13,6x16 floatation tires from ebay i replaced my 8,3x24 turf tires. I have a very high water table were i live and some of the ground is soft after the heavy rains hit. The 13.6's work great in this situation they have a very big foot print. They look awesome on the 154 too.

But for the winter I would use the 8,3's with tire chains because of the more weight per square inch over the 13,6's to plow the driveway.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:12 pm

The IH Tiller is about 42" wide. It is offset some to cover the left tire track. You need to have a 3-point hitch and a creeper installed. First gear creeping is faster than you think at wide open throttle.

Since the PTO turns at engine speed and backwards, you either need an IH tiller that is geared appropriately or there is a reduction gear box that was once made by Hub City to reduce the PTO speed down to 540 RPM's, reverse the direction of the rotation , and provide the correctly splined output shaft. I don't have the gearbox because they seem to be quite pricey. Most go for around $600 on ebay.

The tiller is quite a workout for a 184. When chunking through grass, roots, clay, and the occasional rock, the tiller is capable of stalling the engine. Make certain you top off your radiator before tilling and again after the tractor cools back down.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:19 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Flotation tires are what the name implies. They spread the weight out more so they do not have as much tendency to make ruts when the ground id soft.

Until the surface is distorted there is no difference in traction. The only advantage for floatation tires is that they are more likely to "stay on top". The larger footprint reduces the weight per unit area in proportion to the increase in area. That's assuming the total weight remains the same, therefore, if on a hard surface there's neglible difference in traction.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:34 am

We ran into this with the 4x4 trucks snowplowing. The skinny tires had more traction because of them having more weight applied into a smaller space. They would actually go deeper down the ground thru the snow while the wider floatation tires would stay on top and just pack the snow down. I'm thinking it would be the same with tractors and skinny tires vs wider floatation tires. I can see the difference when the plow is up and i'm going thru deep snow. The wider tires takes a lot of power to start going. I think its because the wider tires are plowing more snow over the skinny tires.

I had a 4x4 truck with the 10:00 - 15 tires and my neighbor in VT had the same truck with 700-15" & 4 sets of tire chains and a plow. During an ice storm i slid off the road into a soft drainage ditch but mashed the throttle in 1st gear and got right out. My neighbor slid off in the same spot but the chains dug in more in the soft ground. He needed to be pulled out. In some cases having floatation tires is better.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”