This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

field pea harvester

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

field pea harvester

Postby Virginia Mike » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:07 am

Somewhere I have seen an attachment for a sickle bar mower to windrow pea or bean vines. Has anyone seen or used one?
I would like to make something to speed harvest of black-eyed peas. I have a thrashing machine for them, but need to get the vines out of the field.
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: field pea harvester

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:28 pm

Mike, i have not seen one but, sure would like too. Hope someone else has
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:24 pm

You know, I have been to a threashing up here for oats, and the fellow that hosts it (our parish priest at his "home farm") puts up his bundles of oats using an old McCormick binder...horsedrawn but modified to be pulled behind a tractor. The front end of it is a sickle bar mower and it actually ties up the bundles...operator riding on the back...

I am just wondering if something like that could be modified to do the beans...don't know if it would tie them or not, but it sure would put them in a row, I think...

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Bill
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby Bill » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:44 pm

Our neighbor had one. I was very young at the time, but it looked like flat stock bars bolted to the mower arm starting from each end and leaving an opening in the middle.The bars got longer as they got to the opening. The tail end of the bars were rolled up to help move the peas to opening. After they were wind rowed they were loaded on trucks with hay loaders. Sometime German POWs helped with the harvest. I was not very old but my brother and I would watch. We had our dog with us, the POWs sure liked our dog.

Bill

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:31 pm

We had the flat bar unit years back, and it was chained to the the back of the bar with a few short links of chain! The ends were turned up to sort of roll cut material to the open center and it did work pretty well!---I think you can make one, since they were quite simple design, and just drag on the ground behind the bar. the short stubble is what helps work the cut materal off the bars and deposit it in the center for the row! thanks; sonny

mark1757
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mark1757 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:45 pm

Virginia Mike wrote:Somewhere I have seen an attachment for a sickle bar mower to windrow pea or bean vines. Has anyone seen or used one?
I would like to make something to speed harvest of black-eyed peas. I have a thrashing machine for them, but need to get the vines out of the field.

Mike,
I've never seen or used a sickle bar mower to harvest peas or beans before. However:

Find a copy of the IHC McCormick-Deering MR-1 Mowers Parts Catalog.
It shows the bean/pea windrowing device used on the #4, #6 and #7 horse drawn mowers.
The MR-2 has the #9 mower parts.
Maybe you can figure out something by way of the pictures and part names.

The windrow was later picked up with a Model R Green Crop Loader (Hay Loader).
Mark
"But the Farmall Cub is part of the family, we could never sell it." My wife. 4/9/2007

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"

Postby Virginia Mike » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:42 am

Thanks to mark and all who replied.
Over the course of the last week, the deer found my pea patch. They have stripped the leaves and peas from the plants.
No pea theashing this year.
I may sell my antique sheller, although it would have made a great demo being belt powered by a Cub, I woud have to fence my pea field to get enough peas. That's too expensive on a fixed income.
Best,
Mike
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

markwayne
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24550
Tractors Owned: 1952 F Cub

Postby markwayne » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:37 pm

ammunition is cheap, call the game warden and show him the damage and he will issue you a permit to shoot them. a load of deer in the freezer is good on a fixed income too.

Another solution is get a dog and fence him/ her in, takes a shorter cheaper fence, maybe none at all depending on the dog. Let them have a good time running off the deer.

Mark
grandpops 52 Fcub #151651, 193 plow, 144 cultivators, 174 runner planter, Type C Duplex hopper, 53 Fertilizer Unit, front/mid mount blade, IH but non Cub 4 foot disc, non IH peg tooth harrow, and one of the infamous and much maligned belt pulleys.

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"

Postby Virginia Mike » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:01 am

markwayne wrote:ammunition is cheap, call the game warden and show him the damage and he will issue you a permit to shoot them.

The "Conservation Police" as they call themselves these days were called several days ago. The dispatcher said deer damage was not a priorty and they would send a officer when one was free.
I realize there is no revenue in this for them, and it is not as much fun as chasing bikini girls on their jet skis on the lake. I guess they will get here eventually.
Best,
Mike

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:10 am

Mike,

Tell them you're going to start shooting the deer if they don't show up soon. That may get them out. They're not likely to do anything effective, anyway.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”