This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Explain this Hood Hole?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Explain this Hood Hole?

Postby johnbron » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:38 pm

I have seen a lot of cut hoods for generator access but what the heck is this hood hole for by the carb :?: . http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 92851&rd=1
Then came Bronson

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:03 pm

:roll: I guess this one stumped the Cub-Gurus too cause its had 30 viewers with not even 1-suggestion. Not even a wise-crack. :twisted:

.......#1000#.......
Then came Bronson

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:07 pm

OK JB, Perhaps it's where the turbo connected.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:50 pm

Bigbog is probably on the right track. Good chance there was a homemade low profile exhaust exiting there.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:18 pm

I guess those are as good a reasons as any. I just looked at it again and there is another half round hole cutout at the bottom edge by the fan or generator.
Then came Bronson

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:41 pm

JB,

I thought I'd would explain the reason for the hole after a little transcend dental medication. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim, I didn't mean to plagiarize...well yes I did. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ChickenWing
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ChickenWing » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:52 am

maybe it is to hold your "hot dog on a stick" to warm it while you mow?

Sounds silly eh? I only say this, because I remember my great grandfather saying that they used to have some old car that they would stick a stew pot beside the engine, and put a pot roast in it. It would cook while they were driving "up north" then they would have dinner when they got there. The drive was several hours.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:45 am

My guess is that hood was from one of the non production models IH was experimenting with when trying to increase horsepower, and the second hole was for the dual exhaust system required for the 200 hp engine. Image
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Nope...

Postby allenlook » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:56 am

Sorry guys - all those guesses are noble, but the far simpler explanation is that the tractor was parked outside for many years, either whole or in part (as supported by the surface rust mentioned in the listing), and as will happen with most farm implements left to nature's devices, this particular wayward cub fell prey to steel bees.

They'll eat a nice round hole a few inches across, then crawl inside and lay their eggs. Once the larvae hatch, they make their way out of the poor implement by the shortest route, which is probably what caused the damage mentioned around the front lights, if I had to guess.

All the supporting evidence is there :roll:
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck

Postby Carm » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:36 am

Crap, steel bees. I hate them. We call them welder bees around here. They have armor piercing stingers I understand.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Steel bee...

Postby allenlook » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:50 am

I figured I'd better post a picture of one I captured last fall, just so you'd be able to identify it if you ever come across one...

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME! Capturing one of these babies involves the double-fisted, ambidextrous, bilateral use of a pressure washer and an electric welder at the same time - and if you mix up your left and your right hand for even a split second you can water-weld yourself right there on the spot!

Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”