This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Generator Update - Troubleshooting?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Generator Update - Troubleshooting?

Postby ScottyG » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:24 pm

Well, I removed the generator from my Cub, removed the inspection band and lo and behold, the third brush was only about 1.5 units from my field brush. I reset that to 3.2 but that doesn't seem to be the problem for why I'm not charging. I next removed the lug leads from the third brush and from the field brush. Running a continuity check on those brushes, I'm getting a ground. I'm guessing that this indicates a pretty serious problem right? What track am I on at this point. Is there a short in the armature winding where one of the wires is grounding out agains the case? What should I be looking for as my next step?

Any help that can be provided will be greatly appreciated.

P.S., the armature and commutator spin flawlesly on their axle. There is no pitting or grooving on the commutator and I deglazed the brushes by lightly sanding them.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:38 pm

Oops. Slight correction. I removed the lug lead from my third brush and from the armature brush. There is no field brush since the field lug is direct from the winding.

Sorry for the confusion.

Return to “Farmall Cub”