This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

REAR LIFTING BAR SKETCH ON RUDI'S MANUAL SITE

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.
Circle of Safety: Y

REAR LIFTING BAR SKETCH ON RUDI'S MANUAL SITE

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:04 pm

My stepdad has a regular cub with hydraulics. He wants me to try and put a boom-type lift on the rear to pick things up and transport around.

I saw the 'rear lifting bar' sketch....but am having a tough time putting that into a 3-d image in my mind!!!!!! Who's drawing is that? Are there a few pictures that exist so as to see it better?

Then there's the issue of pick-up point and the amount of weight the boom will handle. I think I really mean how much the touch control will lift.

He wants something that bolts between the final drives like where the drawbar mounts with a bar that pivots from there and is lifted by the rear lifting arm. I have doubts that it would lift much that way. The rear lift arm is very close to the back of the tractor and the longer the boom gets from the pick-up point the heavier the load....right?

I know for sure he wants to lift the concrete top off the pump house and that's about 4' SQ and 4" thick. Then after that it's anybody's guess as to what might be hooked up to be toted around.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I need to get going on this project asap.

Marion-57 loboy

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:34 pm

Marion,

I don't think even Scruffy could lift 800# more than 2 feet behind him. Your stepdad should direct your efforts to an alternate plan.

For lighter jobs, a lifting boom might be handy.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:43 pm

I know it's not what your Stepdad is looking for, but I have an engine hoist I chain down on a homemade steel trailer for lifting of the type you are describing.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:57 pm

I'd still like to see pics of the thing on a tractor or at least put together as a whole.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:52 pm

I came up with the same 800# weight George did (concrete at 150# per cubic foot). But on the more general question of a boom, here are a few numbers. In the Serviceman's Guide for Touch-Control, it suggests a pair of rear wheelweights on the rear rockshaft for a load test, as about 1/2 the maximum capacity. So the limit is about 600# at the rear rockshaft. If you use the rockshaft to operate a boom. the lifting capacity will be reduced by whatever ratio the lengths of the boom are.

Example, a boom that pivots somewhere between the final drives might be hooked to the rockshaft 2 feet out from the pivot. The boom may extend another 3 feet beyond where the rockshaft is attached. The ratio is 2:5 (since 2+3=5). The lift capacity at the end of the boom would be 600 *(2/5) = 240. Not too impressive, but it might be useful for some light lifting.

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:55 am

I built something simular to what you are talking about the end of my boom stuck out about 3 1/2ft. beond the back of the tractor.
The touch control was in top shape.
Every thing looked good.
I built this to move car engines around(small block ford & chevy about 400 to 500 lb.
If I could lift them & some it would not lift I could not move with out someone standing on the front of the tractor as when you let the clutch out the front came up.
But the worst thing that happened was I bent the rear rocker shaft
& cracked one of the caps on the front rocker shaft.
I was 18 years old at that time but dad still chewed me a new @@@.
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:32 pm

Marion:

Just saw this thread, must have missed it when you posted. The drawing is mine and it is a faithful reproduction of the actual part that is used in conjunction with the 144 cultivators. I use it for 95% of the work I do with Ellie.

It is used to lift my Hillers, will be used for the Spring Harrow project as well as the Disc Harrow project.

Rather versatile.

To put it in 3d, check out the Cub-144 Cultivator Manual on the server. That should help. If you still have probs with it, let me know and I will go take a pic and post it asap!
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”