This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Savor Hybrid Charentais Melon

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Savor Hybrid Charentais Melon

Postby Eugene » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:10 pm

http://www.jungseed.com/dp3.asp?c=115&SKU=02696

I planted several different types of melons this year. I thought I would critique the Savor Hybrid Charentais melon.

Meat. Close to raw potato quality. Firm to slightly hard.
Taste. Mild muskmelon. Slightly sweet. Wife called the flavor boring, not what one would expect from a melon.
Comment(s). I think I will plant something else next year.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Re: Savor Hybrid Charentais Melon

Postby Peter Person » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:22 pm

Eugene,
I planted those several years ago. Unfortunately by the time melons were showing up I thought I had planted canteloupe. I was waiting for the skin to turn tan with the telltale "vein" and finally remembered I had planted the Charentais Melon after I tried to pick up a pile of mush. Fortunately I was able to have 2 or 3 of them. They are really good.
Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Savor Hybrid Charentais Melon

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:32 am

This is my first experience with this melon. It's very late coming on. In fact the vine is still blooming and fruiting. There are currently fruits of all sizes. They are not to going all mature at the same time, which may be a good thing. Looks like I will have fresh melon until frost.

Taste and texture wise, it's not bad for a melon. Perhaps just different than what I expected.

I may change my mind based on the spread out maturity dates.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”