This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Newbie with a 1953 CUB

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
tickbait
10+ Years
10+ Years

Newbie with a 1953 CUB

Postby tickbait » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:52 pm

This has been in my family for 3 generations. I heard my brother in-law had the cylinders bored out, for sure, new pistons and rings, I think. He also painted the hood. As far as I know everything else is original. My sister has used it weekly around her house and then it has set for a year or two. It's mine for keeps and I want to treat it right. I did see a post with steps for new owners of old cubs and I'm ready. I'm also very interested in trying electrolysis on the floor/platform, rear fenders, radiator bracket and other parts. It does have a 5 ft side sickle for cutting grass. Adjustable plow in front. Garden plow to pull. Saw mill set up along with the belt, pulley's and large circular saw blade. The only thing I've done so far was to drain gallon of old gas, clean sediment bowl and flush with fresh grass through bottom plug in carburetor. I cranked the hand crank and it squeak but that stopped after full turn and I continued cranking 5 - 6 times. It started running the second I pulled the starter. That's how I got it on the trailer and then into my garage. Well I did take it for a ride but not long. I hope to rely on this board's passed post and any help I may receive. I do have pictures at http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd29 ... s/Tractor/ Howdy folks.
I've cut it three times and it's still too short.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Newbie with a 1953 CUB

Postby Rudi » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:43 pm

tickbait:

Neat nickname.. kinda different... :D

That is really nice to see, a 3rd generation owner of a family Cub. I am sure you will do wonders for it in the TLC department.

Rudi wrote:Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server where you will find a bunch of really useful links.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Roy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Roy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:43 am

trickbait Image

to the greatest form on the web.
You can fing anything here you want to know, just dig in and enjoy. :)
Jim
My wife has a long honey do list, I read it, thank about it, than take a nap to see if it goes away.
49 Cub

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:51 am

Tickbait - welcome aboard! Let us know if we can help in any way.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:43 am

Tickbait,

Welcome. Enjoy the ride with some of the best people you will find anywhere.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

tickbait
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby tickbait » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:35 pm

Well. Golly ghee wiz guys, thanks for the warm reply. I had read a great deal before I replied and the reading along with my memories of time on the Cub stirred my blood. Iz here as long as ya put up with me. I'm pretty tame. 30 yrs, 95 days, 13.25 hrs ought to say sump tum. As far as the screen name, my wife, my two sons (5 & 10 at the time) and I came down with Lyme Disease in 1989. It's been a long, long haul from hell and back but we have survived. I bring it up now, at the begining to share with others who may have same questions as I did. I am a cofounder of the Lyme Association of Greater Kansas City. I don't have a horn to toot. And sure as Heck, anit no Dr. This disease is hard to recognize and dificult for physicans to understand which can lead to chronic problems for you and I. I did not choose to be educated in Lyme Disease. My family and I, wonderded in the sticks. Please have great respect for tick bites. Just one can change a life style beyound comprehinsion. They don't make ticks like they use too. Enough said and I'm off the soap box, unless someone wants to compare notes, less's talk cub. Thanks for your understanding in this off track in post guys. Lets all stay healthy, CHEERS. Now, how come, in the CBok, Chapter 2, part 1 & 2 won't open in windows explorer? Thanks guys for your patients and good will. And No, I did not look at responces as soon as the alarm clock went off, the alarm clock went off just after I decided to look at my responses. tickbait.
Last edited by tickbait on Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:53 am

tickbait:

Well I was curious as to the choice of moniker and "now we know the rest of the story" ... WOW!. Lyme Disease is a bear. So many have not been fortunate enough to have an accurate diagnosis because it is so hard to diagnose. Takes courage and perserverance to get through it. Just saw an episode of House which I normally do not watch about that very subject. The Lord carried you and your family through, so there is much, much to be thankful for! (+)

To answer your question:
tickbait wrote: Now, how come, in the CBok, Chapter 2, part 1&2 2 won't open in windows explorer? Thanks guys for your patients and good will. And No, I did not look at responces as soon as the alarm clock went off, the alarm clock went off just after I decided to look at my responses. tickbait.

Right at the moment Chapter 2 Part 1 and 2 are simply stubs. I have not had a chance to import the articles. The new CBoK is a work in progress and is an extension of the CBoK in the How To Forum.

Kind of funny you should mention the alarm.. many of us have the very same disease :big smile:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:33 am

Welcome aboard! Mark you calendar for the 2nd friday and Saturday in april, get yoru trailer loaded up with your tractor, bring the wife and kids, and come on over 5 hrs east on I-70 to Paris, IL for Docfest a gathering of cubs and a bunch of us from the forumn. And we will have lots of fun, and probably show you how to do lots of things on your cub.

John, aka "videodoc" or just doc

tickbait
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby tickbait » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:30 am

John, April is sure a long time from now but I've got it on the calender. That ought to be a blast. Thanks.

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:48 pm

Welcome to a great forum with great people. I know you will enjoy it. Glad you have kept the Cub in the family - that makes it very special.
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

tickbait
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby tickbait » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:31 pm

Hey Vince, thanks, Man I'm a city boy who dreams of retiring as a hillbilly in the Ozarks but my calling is in N.W. Arkansas in the Boston Mtns. I particularly like Newton County and Buffalo National river. Anytime they aren't looking, thats were I go. I've got a question for anyone who sees this. I was just given a friendship email about keepers, as far as friends. Some where in my readings on this board I read about keepers but it was just a hair more in keeping old things and repairing them verses buying new things that break down. Does anyone recall reading that because it fits my dear friend perfectly.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:08 pm

tickbait wrote:Some where in my readings on this board I read about keepers but it was just a hair more in keeping old things and repairing them verses buying new things that break down. Does anyone recall reading that because it fits my dear friend perfectly.

First, Welcome to the forum! By now you know that everyone is here to help one way or the other,

Now, in answer to your question, I have a page on my web site about keepers. Could this be it? http://savethecub.com/keepers.htm
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

tickbait
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby tickbait » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:28 am

Bill, Hot digity dog. That be the one. That's been the way I've seen things all my life. Thanks.

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:59 pm

Hey TB!

Glad to have you on board with us all! Sorry to read about your battle with Lyme Disease but am glad you cofounded an organization to fight against that devasting disease.
You also did one heck of a nice job documenting your tractor's casting number and serial numbers. Keep us posted with your progress with rust removal and restoration. CW

deputy jailer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby deputy jailer » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:43 am

:D :D WELCOME :D :D

Return to “Introduce Yourself”