This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Electrolosis

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Electrolosis

Postby beaconlight » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:41 am

Is black iron pipe suitable for an electrolosis tank. I only have a little rebar but mucho pipe. These things seem like they are the answere to a maidens prayer/
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:47 am

You bet!!! I have some cooking as we speak. I try to make a nice grid around the parts to be cleaned. I'm using 2 pieces of expanded metal and several pieces of black iron pipe to clean the rear rims. Please don't use stainless as the by-products are considered hazardous waste.
Another subject :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:00 am

There is lots of debate about Stainless Steel and that many believe it is not a desired sacraficial lamb so to speak. Some use it without obvious problems. I would think that another no-no would be galvanized as well.

I have lots of pieces of galvanized pipe from frences that has been hanging around for a long time. Be nice to use it, but there is no way that I am going to put galvanized in an electrolysis tank, even a big one. I would be very concerned about the resultant vapours and of course the residue in the water. Thoughts?
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:08 am

I have always heard that galvanized contains lead. So I think that would be a no-no.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:33 pm

l0 wrote:
I have always heard that galvanized contains lead.

I don't think that the galvanizing process uses any lead at all. Hot zinc is what is used. I really don't think this would be considered hazardous. But I don't know for sure. :(

For more info on why not to use stainless go here:
http://antique-engines.com/stainless-steel-electrodes.htm

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:05 pm

I have always been told not to weld on galvanized metal because it releases a poisonous gas when super heated.

I do use stainless in my de-rusto tank though. :twisted:
Then came Bronson

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:20 pm

Donny M wrote:l0 wrote:
I have always heard that galvanized contains lead.

I don't think that the galvanizing process uses any lead at all. Hot zinc is what is used. I really don't think this would be considered hazardous. But I don't know for sure. :(

For more info on why not to use stainless go here:
http://antique-engines.com/stainless-steel-electrodes.htm

That only what I was told. I try not to believe everything I hear. :?
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:27 am

johnbron wrote:I have always been told not to weld on galvanized metal because it releases a poisonous gas when super heated.

Johnbron. You are right on. Zinc, cadmium, lead and beryllium are among the metals that produce poisonous gasses when welded. You must have adiquate ventilation. I believe chrome plating also produces hazardous gasses.
Ron

Return to “Farmall Cub”