This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Bolts for Oil Pan

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Bolts for Oil Pan

Postby Dan England » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:04 am

I plan to drop the oil pan on a Cub to remove sludge from the pan and pump. Earlier posts have mentioned replacing the three bolts at the rear of the pan with ones which have slots for a flat blade screwdriver. I have checked with NAPA and O'Reilly auto parts stores and with hardware stores but have not found slot head bolts for this application. Can someone provide a source to obtain them? Thanks, Dan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:56 am

Dan,
If you can't locate any bolts with slots, I would try using a Dremel tool, or "hack" saw, and make my own with the originals. A more personal touch approach.
Just Do It !

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:26 am

EZ: I have considered using a hacksaw to make a slot for the blade. The bolts in the pan have a large dimple in the center leaving only a rim around the outside to contact the blade. If I can't find ones prepared for a screwdriver I will purchase new bolts with a flat head and do as you suggest. Thanks, Dan

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:57 am

I have found that either a universal joint or one of the wobble extensions to work good removing and tightening the rear bolts.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:11 am

Why is it a good idea to replace those bolts with slotted screws??
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Harold R » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:56 am

My '49 had slotted rear pan bolts. Looks like they were done with a hack saw. The wobble joint was slow going for me. The slots enable you to run them up snug with a screw driver, then put the socket on them and tighten. It's for those of us with little patience.

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:59 am

All of the bolts on the oil pan are easy to access except the three along the rear margin of the pan. These three are recessed into the front of the torque tube and are difficult to install or remove. As John suggested, a wobble joint makes the job easier. I still have difficulty in working with them as the wobble unit often wobbles in the wrong direction or at the wrong time. Forum members have reported that using a screw driver makes the job easier so I am going to give that a try. Dan

Dogman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dogman » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:43 pm

Put a little TAPE of your choice around the universal joint to stiffing it up

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Slotting...

Postby allenlook » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:31 pm

I just ran mine in all the way with my fingers, then tightened them with a universal. I need to recheck the torque on the left side, as the new gasket is seeping a bit of oil - I think. It might actually be coming from a slow drip which I think is coming from the breather tube on the air cleaner, can't really tell because that's WAY up under the hood. So I gotta pressure wash Jay again and then run him for a while and look for a fresh drip.

Had a party yesterday for about 75 people, and I could have saved a ton of money on the band and the bouncy-bounce, because as soon as I brought Jay out from around the barn, the kids were lined up 20 deep to get tractor rides! :shock: I had to recruit a friend to take over driving so I could sit in and play with the band for a while... Jay got a real light-duty workout :D
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”