This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mounting the Woods belly mower...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Mounting the Woods belly mower...

Postby allenlook » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:39 pm

How in the blazing $@!@! do you mount this Woods L59 mower deck *easily* :x

I might as well hoist the tractor and then roll the deck under it the way it's going... All I can see is taking off the rear extension post, or the front wheels and side skid rails to get it between the wheels!

I think a previous owner got ticked, too, and just rode up over the deck. I think the left skid plate is bent like a boomerang, whereas the right skid plate is as you would expect, fairly straight back from the mounting bracket.

Here's a picture contrasting the two - first the right one is straight, and then in the second picture you can sort of see the left one is bent up pretty good - unless that's normal, but it doesn't appear so.

Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:14 pm

allenlook,

I just drive next to the mower and slide the mower underneath. If I remember I had to put the rear of the deck against the rear wheels and turn the front wheels to get it to fit. Wasn't too bad of a job. :-:-): :-:-):

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:30 pm

Allen,

The Woods looks to be very much like the IH L59. I had to jack up the rear right end and slide the deck rails underneath to clear everything. Not too tough but a ripe ol' pain in the a--. I had visions of driving over the thing as well but mine's in pretty sorry shape to begin with and I didn't want to risk pushing the whole thing out of whack.
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:34 pm

Ya know, I can't really help cause I don't have one, but an idea is percolatin around in my brain.

I can see a ramp system built so that you drive up the ramp, once situated over the mower, you remove 2 boards or whatever you want to call them, hook up the mower, elevate it to transport position and then replace planks and drive off.

Kind of rough idea, but with a little thought, I am sure that I can get it to work. How high is the woods from skids to top of spindles. And, after it is mounted, how much clearance is there between the ground and the bottom of the mower in the transport position?????
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Shape

Postby allenlook » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:01 pm

Well, the Woods mower is plenty thin enough to fit under the tractor, and unfortunately, driving up on the ramp blocks and then removing the planks would not extend the wheelbase, which is what causes the problem. But I like your line of thinking!

Unfortunately, the Woods mower deck I have is shaped like a big Manta Ray, with a long pipe sticking out the back of it that goes into a bar at the rear of the tractor that has holes at various heights, which controls the pitch of the entire deck (or at least the height of the deck at the rear)

The deck itself, minus the pipe, would JUST fit between the front and rear wheels, as in the first suggestion, but because of this long pipe, it doesn't even come close, and because the pipe is mounted with one through bolt at the front and then another U bolt at the mid point, both of which have nuts that attach under the deck, it would be a real pain in the butt to take that pipe off and then have to crawl under the tractor and deck to put the pipe back on...

I tried taking off one wheel and skid, but that didn't help...

Does anybody else have this pipe thing sticking out the back? :?: :!: Oh, and can anyone comment on the bent skid plate - that's not supposed to be that way, right?
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:11 pm

About 1/3rd of my rear support is removable. Makes it somewhat easier.

As for the skid...ain't posta be like that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:54 pm

I take the casters off, but it still ain't easy--but it's impossible with the casters on...
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Oh wait, duh.

Postby allenlook » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:58 pm

Rudi,

I get your drift now,...

You must be talking about placing the mower deck on the ground, with something like a block on the four corners, then driving the tractor up some ramp planks and across some lateral planks until each wheel is resting on a block, then removing the lateral planks, leaving the mower deck nestled between the blocks and below the tractor!

Took me a few minutes to realize you weren't just talking about blocks at the front of the tractor.

I will try something like that tomorrow, albeit I will use multiple blocks, and actually use the steel tractor-ramps I have instead of planks - just trying to be simplistic in my descriptions.

I was thinking of putting the mower in a deck-shaped hole (yes I'm that desperate to get it onto and off of the tractor quickly and simply) when I realized what you must be talking about.

rleggitt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rleggitt » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:07 pm

Allenlook,

You may want to try this" drive the tractor up alongside the mower with
the mower on the left side of the operator [you] and then turn the steering
wheel as far to the right as possible. Then slide the mower at an angle
with the right rear of the mower deck closest to the rear axle of the
tractor. Continue to slide the deck until the deck almost touches the front
wheel. Then turn the steering wheel as far to the left as possible and then
continue to slide the mower into a possition to align with the mounting
bars/arms and reattach the pins or bolts.

Hope this helps.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Good thinking...

Postby allenlook » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:10 pm

Good thinking. I'll give it a go tomorrow. Something tells me I need at least another foot of clearance beyond what I've got, but like I said above, I'll try just about anything!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:12 pm

Allen:

Yup, that is what I was thinkin :!: :idea: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Sloooow...

Postby allenlook » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:14 pm

Rudi,

Sometimes when you're talking to New Yorkers, you have to type reeeeelllly slooooowww... :D :D :D

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:16 pm

K: will keep that in mind :!: :roll: :roll: :lol:

BA
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BA » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:56 pm

First couple times I took the deck off, I did manage to wiggle it out from under the tractor by turning the wheel to the right and kitty-cornering the deck about after taking the casters off.

However.... for the life of me I can't remember how I actually did it and last time I ended up hopping the front end over the deck, off and on and the front wheels BARELY fit. I haven't taken it off again! But I did manage to get it on and off the tractor exactly two times without driving over it or hoisting anything - just took the caster mounts off.

I have the exact same mower with the rod coming out the back - like I said, I ain't touched in in a couple years! Good luck - wish I could be of mroe help. Will ask my son if his memory is better than mine even though 18 years with him is the main reason for brain erosion to begin with!! :wink: :wink:
Larry Rose
MA, Dighton
1954 Cub

Return to “Farmall Cub”