This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fuel/Carb Problem.......Need Advise

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
badguygitr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Fuel/Carb Problem.......Need Advise

Postby badguygitr » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:57 am

I have a problem (fuel I think) with my 62 Cub. It will run perfect for a few hours and then just dies. I can start it right back. Sounds like it is running out of fuel. Once it starts this it will keep doing it. I switched the carb from my 53 Cub and put it on this one. It ran perfect for a few hours and started doing the same thing, so I am assuming that it isn't the carb. I drained and cleaned the fuel bowl strainer. It did have some trash/dirty fuel in the bottom. It ran good for awhile again, but still dies after a while. I'm thinking maybe I need to put on a new fuel bowl and clean out the fuel tank. Am I on the right track? Thanks.
Badguygitr
Alma, Arkansas
53 Cub / 62 Cub / 2 Woods 42 mowers / disc plow / blade/ 2 sickle mower / drag disc

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:02 am

It may be as simple as a plugged vent in the fuel cap. If the vent plugs, a vacuum is created in the tank over time as fuel is drawn out. Try loosening the cap or cleaning the vent to see if it helps. If it isn't that, then I think you are on the right track with dirt in the fuel system.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:25 pm

As BD said, first suspect is fuel system, second suspect would be a bad coil or condenser. About 12 years aog I worked on the fuel system of my 48 three times before I fixed it by changing the coil.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

badguygitr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Fuel problem

Postby badguygitr » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:53 pm

I think I'll try the fuel cap this afternoon and see if it works. I've thought about the coil too because years ago when I was driving an ole junker car I had this same problem when the car got hot.
Thanks guys.
Badguygitr

Alma, Arkansas

53 Cub / 62 Cub / 2 Woods 42 mowers / disc plow / blade/ 2 sickle mower / drag disc

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:58 pm

John is correct, the coil would be my next suspect. But usually, when the coil causes this, they are really hard to re-start immediately. You could check the quality of the spark when it happens.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Joker555
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joker555 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:12 pm

I agree with the coil also.
Last year my 69er was doing the same thing after about 1 hour,then finally I found out the hard (and scare the heck out of ya) way.
The coil blew up and caught fire and the oil inside of the coil was all over me!! :shock: :shock:
Not a big fire,but enough to get my attention.
Since I changed the coil and points,I've had no trouble like that any more.

Garvin Gatewood
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Garvin Gatewood » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:40 pm

You switched the carburator, try switching the gas cap too. If that doesn't work try a different coil.
Eight Cubs-finally got a '57.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:46 pm

Don't forget to pay attention to the coil polarity when you switch them; 6 volts + terminal goes to points, but 12 volts - terminal goes to points.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

badguygitr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Tried fuel cap & coil

Postby badguygitr » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:15 am

Yesterday evening I switched the fuel cap from my 53 Cub to my 62. It didn't solve it. It still kept dying about every minute or so. I then switched the coil and mowed for about 15 minutes without problems. I'll just have to mow for a while to know for sure......only time will tell. Thanks for the help.
Badguygitr

Alma, Arkansas

Return to “Farmall Cub”