This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

My int154 throttle cable broke today....

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

My int154 throttle cable broke today....

Postby BigBill » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:01 pm

Its been acting up since last fall and it finally broke while mowing today.

One thought is to go to TSC and buy a universal lawn mower cable and remove it from the liner and put it into the 154's liner rather than spend big $$ for an IH throttle cable. I been repairing the cub cadet throttle cables this way too. Any thoughts on a different fix?
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: My int154 throttle cable broke today....

Postby Hengy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:50 pm

Hi BigBill.... Please educate me... what is the difference between the universal cable and the IH specific one? Is it a matter of the correct bends in the end of the cable or was the look/functionality different?

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:03 am

A universal throttle cable can fit a few different mowers. I have pulled the cable out of the liner and replaced it in my cadet throttle cable liners(housings) so i got a new throttle cable for around $6 or the low cost of the replacement mower throttle cable.

I found a throttle cable at the local parts store for $6 today.

I'm also thinking of purchasing a small roll of MIG welding wire the correct diameter so i can make my own throttle cables. Since its copper coated it should last longer.

Anything beats the high price of buying new throttle cables.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

Postby LiL' Red » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:35 am

If you are going to try mig wire, how about stainless steel? Woudn't rust and should be a little stiffer than mild steel.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:21 am

Never tried it as a throttle cable, but I have tried to sue some pieces of mig wire for other non welding applications and learned that it does not like being repeatedly bent., as it does at both ends of the shield when you open and close the throttle, plus, it is not still enough to stay straight when you move the lever to push it into the sheath (closing the throttle).
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:34 pm

When i push the mig wire into the casing on the mig welder I cut an angle on the end i'm pushing thru so it goes much easier. I'll have to check the diameter of the throttle cable first before looking into the mig wire. On the cub cadets there's no bends at the ends the cable is clamped by screws binding it. I'm hoping my int154 cub cable is the sameway I haven't looked at it yet, been busy.