This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

HOORAY!!!!! She's Running Again

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

HOORAY!!!!! She's Running Again

Postby Kirk » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:32 pm

To All,

I've heard it said many times on this forum, how grateful we are for the wonderful assistance that is provided here....particularly to us newbies. :roll:

Well, my gratetitude goes out to Donny, Scotty G, John and my new lifelong friend BIGDOG.....who patiently worked with me (off the forum) and got my Cub running once again. Praise the Lord for people that are willing to help others. :D

Not only is she running, she's purring like a kitten. :wink:

I hope to meet you all at the Cub-Rama
Kirk

CUBS:
'49

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:40 pm

Kirk:

Congratulations :!: Feels real good doesn't it :?: That feeling won't go away, every time you start her up, it will remind you of how you feel right now.

As for the guys on the forum, they are the BEST! They are what make this the greatest forum on the net :!:

Real glad you got her running, ENJOY :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70403

Postby Joey » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:55 pm

I understand the feeling, Kirk, of hearing the tractor run again. After trying for so long, and learning many things along the way, my wife and kids think I'm nuts when I go in the back yard and crank up the Cub - just to sit there and hear it run. Can't do any work with it yet, but it can run! My boys think I'm old fashioned, but just wait - their day is coming.

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:37 pm

Thanks for the kudos, Kirk. Ever since I stumbled on this board, there hasn't been an answer to my questions that hasn't been helpful or pointed me in the right direction. Like Joey, I'll sometimes just go out to the shed to hear my Cub run and remind myself about why I like these things so much. My wife thinks I'm nuts too and so do the neighbors for that matter. I haven't remounted my L59 deck yet since the refurb so I just do laps around the yard, or the neighborhood or the driveway...
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

It's a funny thing

Postby Kirk » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:22 pm

Well, I'm so happy to have her running again that nothing else matters. But the funny thing is, as I was telling BD, that this whole project started because I had a clatter in the transmission. In fact it was that problem that led me to this forum. And my first post was "Clatter in the Tranny" or something like that.

After a couple of days, the majority felt that 2nd/3rd gear may be missing a tooth. Since I had just inherited the cub, and it was pretty gummed up from leaks, I decided to just tear it down, replace some seals, gaskets, bearings and look for the cause of the clatter.

Sure enough, 2nd/3rd had a tooth missing...of which I replaced. Then the rest of the project went on for several months up until today.

The funny thing is, is that the doggone clatter is still there...only WORSE?? :roll: And it's coming from the tranny. I'm still too excited to be frustrated over the clatter....at least for now. I probably won't have a chance to work on it until after Cub-Arama.

Hope yall will share more of that knowledge.
Kirk

CUBS:

'49

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:28 pm

Bring it to Cubarama, maybe we can make a demo out of it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:07 am

The gear with the tooth missing may have damaged the gear it runs against how ever I had to replace the same gear in mine
& still have some noise it is caused by the teeth not maching the wear pattern on each other. Even a new gear against an old gear will do this.
But I would check to see if any other gears are damaged as when the tooth came off the one it had to go some place maybe thru some other gears & damaged them??
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:46 am

I have also seen a piece of a broken tooth stuck in the teeth of another gear makig a noise when it passed. Have also seen a broken tooth stuck in another gear and locking the transmission.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:50 pm

Guys,

I tore the transmission down myself some months ago because of this clatter. I found the tooth missing off second (also found the broken tooth at the bottom of the tranny) and replaced the gear. The rest of the transmission/gears looked good.

I'm inclined to believe that the match up of new gear verses old, as Dale mentioned. is the culprit. But it sure is noisy. If that is the case, do you suppose the 2 gears will ever some themselves out where they're less noisy?

I'm just about to bring her to Cub-Aramat, as John kiddingly (I think) suggested a couple of days ago, for a demo.

Thanks for your suggestions and thoughts. Please keep them coming. :shock:
Kirk

CUBS:

'49

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:40 am

Kirk wrote:Guys,
I'm inclined to believe that the match up of new gear verses old, as Dale mentioned. is the culprit. But it sure is noisy. If that is the case, do you suppose the 2 gears will ever some themselves out where they're less noisy?

Thanks for your suggestions and thoughts. Please keep them

coming. :shock:

Mine has had the noise for the best part of 10 years never gets louder or less.
I was talking to a good manual trans. man & he told me that we should have replaced the sister gear to the one with the brooken tooth.
He also said that we would still have a small noise but would be a whine in stead of a grrrr.
OH well it has been this way so long I guess I will live with it.
If it's been broken I did it.

If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Return to “Farmall Cub”