This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Power in highway gear

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Power in highway gear

Postby ScottyG » Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:59 am

My Cub has a slight power loss issue that occurs in 3rd gear when I'm going slighly up hill? I don't recall this happening when I drove it home the first time.

When I refurbed the machine, my compression checked out ok in each cylinder weighing in at about 110 psi if I remember correctly. However, I'm wondering if when the Cub is brought to operating temperature, whether those numbers could reduce slightly if I need a ring job? I also notice this slight loss in power in second on steep inclines of >20 degrees or so but it's not as draining as compared to 3rd.

I adjusted my carb, valve tappets, governor (there is no surging) and now I'm wondering if I'm seeing a potential engine overhaul in my future. Maybe some carbon around the valve seats? Anything I should be checking at this point to what I haven't already mentioned? Perhaps this is normal given the weight of the tractor and the size of the engine?
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

FarmallCubNJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FarmallCubNJ » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:12 am

What do you mean you experience a slight power loss? If you mean the tractor slows down some when you go up a steep incline remember you have a governor which adjusts the throttle to changing power loads. Sometimes the throttle can't keep the same road speed even fully open.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:31 am

Scotty, you might want to check for play in the throttle shaft where it enters the fitting at the governor. See if the rod going to the carb moves easily. There should be opposition if you try to move it with the engine stopped.

Compression checks are normally performed with the engine at operating temperature and with all spark plugs removed. If your compression is low you will normally also see oil smoke at the filler, as well as blue smoke at the exhaust when it's running.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”