This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Picked Up #3 Today.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Picked Up #3 Today.

Postby Cub-Bud » Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:30 pm

Dad and I went into Arkansas today and took delivery of cub #3. 8) The serial number plate is missing, so I am not sure of the year model until I check the casting codes. It has the usual "injuries"...cracked front housing, cracked block, cracked final drive housing. It is missing several small items as well. This one I have named "Homely".....it is just plain ugly and is a total MESS, and it is going to stay that way. :shock: I will replace the bad cast, rewire it, and get it basically "sound", but no paint and decals for this one :!: I plan on being "in the hunt" for the ugliest cub award here and at The Cubarama in 2005. :wink: I'll have someone post a picture to this post as soon as I can. :D
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70403

Postby Joey » Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:11 pm

Poor kid. Well, at least Homely can count on medical attention, a roof over his head, and decent meals. Don't know whether to wish him luck in the 'Ugly Cub' contest.

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:13 am

I checked a few casting codes this morning....

Torque Tube....W...1951
Engine Block....Q...1947
Trans. Case.....R...1948
Final Housings..R...1948
Touch Control..R...1948

I am going to check a few more before I make a guess. It might be a 1948 but, most '48 models I have seen have a mag and rarely have touch control. This cub has a distributor and hydraulics. The decals on the hood read "McCormick Farmall Cub" and appear to be original. A PO has made a 12V "field conversion" that I will discard. The name "Homely" couldn't be more appropriate. :lol:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:49 am

CB:

Granny, my 47 has the 12 volt conversion - distributor and alternator. Thank God they didn't cut the hood! No touch control either.

Ellie-Mae, my 48 has the touch control but has the mag.

Jethro, my 51 had the distributor and required field conversion to 12 volt complete with the cut hood...... no hydraulics either.

Lots of 48's were retrofitted with hydraulics and some even had the battery ignition retrofitted as well. Most of the 48, 49, 50 and 51's I have seen in this area usually have the hydraulics and battery ignition.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:53 pm

Strange things sometimes happen. I just found a picture of Bud's # 3. Homely, ain't it! :wink: Image
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:31 pm

See what you mean about stuff missing.
Is that a flat on the front right?
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Two'fer.

Postby allenlook » Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:24 pm

Looks like two flats on the front, and some interesting wiring, but the back light and the battery box are still there, more than I can say for mine when I bought it.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Cub-Bud » Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:04 pm

Yep, both fronts are flat...tires and tubes are shot, as is the right front wheel. The back tires have good, non-matching tread and they hold air. The rear rims are perfect. The tool box and battery box are there but, the bottoms are rusted out. You can see through the seat, too. The back light has no lense or bulb; the front lights are complete but, have been shot with a BB gun. The plate bolted to the left side holds a solenoid switch and a voltage regulator, 12V, I suspect. The front grill is home-made from expanded metal. It is well made and I plan on using it. On second thought, I may not replace the repaired cast....it will take away from the character.

I'm going to have FUN with this one :!: :lol:

Greg Norman

Return to “Farmall Cub”