This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cutout Adjustment ??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
9mules
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cutout Adjustment ??

Postby 9mules » Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:07 pm

Been trying to solve a charging problem.
48 Cub, with starter relay, distributor, 4 Pos. Light Switch

I pulled the Cutout cover off, while the tractor is running the ammeter doesn't show a charge (discharges if lights are on) but when I close the Cutout tabs the ammeter shows charge on hi & low charge rate, about 5 and 10 amps.

Am I missing something here?
How do I set the Cutout?
Doesn't the cutout tabs close when running and then open when not?

Thanks.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:37 pm

9mules, the cutout closes when the generator output is high enough to charge the battery. Check the voltage output of the generator to see if it above 6 volts. Many of them will not pull in at idle as the output has dropped off. Does the cutout not ever pull in - even at high idle?
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:59 pm

I second Big Dog.
Generators are not like Alternators. Alternators make their rated voltage at idle but at reduced amperage. Generators are making electricity but at reduced voltage at idle. As you increase speed the voltage increases. When it gets high enough to charge the battery the cut out operates and the generator is now charging the battery and should show on the Amp Meter.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:11 pm

Hold an iron key over the cut out . Do you feel any pull of magnatism? I mean one of those iron locker keys from work. Does the pull get stronger as you increase speed? It is possible that the cut out is bad or out of adjustment. I wouldn't try to change the adjustment till you put a volt meter on the out put of the generator and also at the inout to the cut out. The readings should be substancialy the same. From under 6 volts at idle to about 6.7 or so at full speed. Voltage could be higher in some circumstances at full bore, but this should be enough to charge battery and show on Amp meter. The cover off of voltage regulators changes the adjustment slightly and I would not be suprised if it has some small effect on curouts as well.
Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:14 pm

All of the above assumes you have a 6 volt battery, generator and cut out. !2 volt would not change the story only the numbers will be higher.
Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Return to “Farmall Cub”