This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Governor Doesn't work

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DWJoy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60148
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
76 cub cadet
original cub cadet
1969 1110 Panzer

Governor Doesn't work

Postby DWJoy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:54 pm

Governor doesn't control engine speed. What needs to be removed to get it out. Will it come out without removing the radiator? Can it be repaired or just replace it ? Where can I get a replacement? Any advice would be great.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Re: Governor Doesn't work

Postby beaconlight » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:25 pm

What do you mean by gov doesn't work? The most common throttle problem to me is the cast iron L shaped piece that pivots on a pin on the gov case rusts up and seizes. penetrating oil and time will free it up.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:26 pm

Try a little Kroil or PB Blaster on all the movement points first.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:15 am

DEJoy:

First, Welcome to the forum families. Suggest that you read the following links... and yes there is a lot of information there that most new members/new Cub owner's and even long time Cub owners can use.

Rudi wrote:Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server where you will find a bunch of really useful links.

Now to answer your question. Don and Bill have given you some good info. Usually the Governor issues are simple fixes that usually fix a lack of maintenance over the years... good penetrating oil and patience goes a long way to fixing many problems. And then sometimes you have to delve a little farther.

DWJoy wrote:Governor doesn't control engine speed. What needs to be removed to get it out. Will it come out without removing the radiator? Can it be repaired or just replace it ? Where can I get a replacement? Any advice would be great.

I would suggest that you read Lurker Carl's Cub Governor Rebuild. This is an article that Carl wrote documenting Jan Van Oostrom (a long time IH Mechanic and Dealer as well as Cub Collector) rebuilding one of my Governor's at CubFest Northeast 2004. You will need PowerPoint or the PowerPoint viewer if you are using IE, and IE View - Firefox Extension if you use FireFox.

I would also suggest you look at the TC-37F and the GSS-1411 Service Manual at the links found in the above pointer text. The TC-37F has some reall good parts diagrams that will help. For instance:

This is the Governor for the Cub.

Hope this helps :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:56 am

If all the linkages are free sometimes it will shear the pin off in the gov itself. If you have to take it off prosead as follows
1. Take off negitave battery cable
2. turn engine to top dead center on no. one piston
3. mark rotor pos.
4. pull dist. or mag. which ever you have
5. Dissconect Gov. linkage
6. mark gov.gears with a marker that wrights on metal
7. remove Gov.
8. dissasemble Gov. repair as needed, may just be stuck, pin sheared etc.
9. install new seal
10. JB Weld works well if there is play in linkage rod at Gov. part # 30 & 8 in Rudi 's pic
10. replace in reverse order
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

DWJoy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60148
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
76 cub cadet
original cub cadet
1969 1110 Panzer

Postby DWJoy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:28 pm

Thank you for your tips. The linkage is all free. The engine will run at a low RPM if the throtle is on the first knotch but if you advance it the RPM seem to want to go verry high unless you move the throtle back . That is why I thought the gov. was bad. Does that sound correct? I looked at the Lurken Carl site. It was a verry good explanation of the rebuild but I did not expect it to be as costly and complicated.It looks like to much for me. I guess I am hopping it is something else. I mite try to take it out and see if it is just gumed up and a good cleaning will help. Is their some one in northeast Illinois that could rebuild it if I need.
Don

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:19 pm

I have been restoring cubs for over 30 year now. I personally have never seen a governor just go bad and not work! I would check to see if the governor spring is good ( Not broken) If it appears to be ok then check to see if it has the proper spring on it. Many times the spring brakes. People not knowing think its just a spring go the local hardware store and get a close match to the spring. This ia a NO NO! . It might look close but close only works in Horesshoes! If your shure you have the correct spring then is the throttle adjustment right. If not them you need to get directions form a manuel on how to properly adjust the governor. If thats all correct and it still doesnt work then there is only 2 other things it could be. On the lever that the linkage form the carburator that connects to the governor linkage is a little role pin in the linkage lever. It might be broken or rusted away. If this is ok then there is 1 more place to look and is the most common problem with the cub governor not working. On the governor shaft is a keyed shaft. over time this keyway on the shaft wears to the point that the governor will no longer work . Take this shaft out. I bet you will find the shaft keyway worn. You can fix it with JBweld or I use what is called weld stick. Its a 2 part putty that works well . Take and clean the shaft well. Fill the wooddrif key hole with the putty . then press a new woodrif key in to place. Put the shaft back on the governor. let dry. this will fix it permently. You can usually tell if this key is worn. Hold the governor shaft where the spring attaches. Then try to move the attached shaft back & fourth. If it moves then you found the problem. If everything is ok then there might be a broken pin or shaft inside to governot but I have never seen it happen.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Return to “Farmall Cub”