This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

HVLP guns

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

HVLP guns

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:42 pm

If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:23 am

Good friend bought this one he likes it other than that I don't know.
By the way he has painted 6 or 7 cars with it top to bottom.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=90977
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

Paint Guns

Postby Bill V in Md » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:55 am

John,

I have not used any of those particular brands, but of the types you listed, I prefer the gravity feed. I do not like the suction feed guns because they don't work well when turned upside down. Suction feed guns also have a vent tube on the cap that must be kept clean, and they are prone to pluggage. Only other comment is that some of those HVLP guns require 50-70 psig - this seems high. One other thing - Harbor Freight ships for free, but it takes forever. They offer UPS ground for an extra fee.

Bill V.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:10 pm

I am also shopping around for a gun. I am a little light on the compressor at the moment (have a Craftsman 'professional' 1.5h pancake) and am still trying to justify a bigger compressor (won't run a die grinder is another reason to get a new one).
Looks like the one Dale51 mentioned is a decent value.

Curious about an air filter too, seems the little compressor has a lot of moisture lately and that must affect a paint gun.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Dogman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dogman » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:49 pm

I have one like this I bought in 97 and used it to put a pickup in primer than oil stained my house with it then the tractor didn't have a compressor at the time. I still use it to paint with because it doesn't need a line dryer
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44677

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:12 am

Buzzard Wing wrote:
Curious about an air filter too, seems the little compressor has a lot of moisture lately and that must affect a paint gun.
Check with you local auto supply store, they sell a little inline disposable filter that does a good job for moisture. Also have you drained your tank lately?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:15 pm

As a matter of fact I drained it two days ago. Seem to pick up moisture easily when it is humid out.

Dogman, are ya happy with that unit?? The only drawback is that I could not quite as easily justify a compressor that would also run a sandblaster.... but I am getting ahead of myself and the neighbors in the city are going to revolt one day with my 'country-like' activities.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Dogman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dogman » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:56 pm

Dogman, are ya happy with that unit??

Wing
I like it :D when I bought it I was living in the city and the house were so close you new your neighbor every move and I did the body work and put a 1/2 ton Chevy in primer in the driveway.( they were happy to see me go)

splicer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby splicer » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:10 am

Hey John, Gotta go with Dale on the gun.......looks like the best for the money. the low cfm is a good thing. Most homeowner compressors won't keep up with a 9 cfm gun. I still use a suction gun......a real el-cheapo and get fantastic results. Just did a pearl white paintjob on the wife's street bike and it's absolutly beautiful ( and expensive). What seperates a medeocra paintjob from a fantastic paintjob is in the prep work. Most all paintguns will deliver premium results when adjusted properly. Water in the paint is always a big concern......don't skimp on a filter, there not that expensive. Plan B is to make your own water trap, they are probably the most effective and easy to make.[/b]
'57 Lo-Boy # 5078
'75 ford 2000

If you think you can or you think you can't...your right
- Henry Ford

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:20 am

John,

I bought the 43430 HVLP gun from Harbor Freight and their Better air filter. I've never painted anything in my life and the paint job on my Cub looks like someone did it that knew what they were doing. Came out great. Secret was the paint mix. If you are using IH 2150 mix it 8-parts paint, 4-parts reducer and 1-part hardener. The hardener is important, it drys faster and gives it a nice gloss. Practice on something first to get the air pressure and paint flow right. My Ford 2000 industrial now has a pretty rouge red bucket. If I remember I sprayed at about 45-50 lbs.
Always try the easiest thing first.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:51 pm

So, I think I will practice on the 1970's truck camper in the driveway! You can tell a rich hillbilly from a poor hillbilly in my neighborhood.... 2 truck campers, 20' equipment trailer, pickup, 86 Town Car and my cub under cover (in the garage).

Thanks for the moral support on the painting! I was going to paint it with a brush and have the body shop paint the hood.... I think I will do it all now!

pup
10+ Years
10+ Years

Paint Gun

Postby pup » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:30 pm

I have a paint gun that looks a lot like 43430 . I gave around $40.00 for it .
It came with both the 2.0MM and the 1.4MM head . I use the 2.0 mm for priming and the 1.4MM for paint . I even used the 2.0mm head to spray some
house paint worked very well. Look around for some of the companys like
Homier or the ones that sell china made tools. They are on ebay too. Here is a tip on how to get the water out of the lines . Take about 25 feet of copper
tubing I use 3/8 coil it in a 5gal bucket bring one end out and attach it to the
compressor bring the other end out and attach it to a water trap the ones that
have a drain. attach hose to trap. Fill bucket with water. What this does is
cool the air, condense the water and drops it in the trap. If you just use a trap the air is not cooled until it goes through the hose on the cool concrete floor then the water comes out of the spray gun. Pup

Return to “Farmall Cub”