This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

CO Monitors- Smoke Detectors

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines
Circle of Safety: Y

CO Monitors- Smoke Detectors

Postby Jeff Silvey » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:02 am

As everyone knows it's that time of year to start using your furnace's, heater or fireplace's.
Co is a silent killer. It is tasteless & does not smell. Best way to prevent any problems is to have our unit's checked out & cleaned by professionals.
Even when using space heater in garage's or in the house they will give off CO. Don't run your vehicle's in the garage in the winter time the CO will get into the house it hurt loved one's & pets. Newer house are more air tight than years ago.
Evan house with total electric needs to have CO detector in the home's. We have found in the fire service that we have had run at total electric home. Some of us use electric golf carts or have electric lawn mowers even our cubs that use battery chargers. Symptom's are head aces, flue like symptom, red lips, dizziness. Move to fresh air if you are starting to feel bad & call 911.
They make several make's & model on the market. I'm not a salesman for any on these unit's. Here is a suggestion on what model's to buy. Kidde Nighthawk its a unit that plugs into the wall with a battery back up it also gives you a digital reading. Some other unit don't have the digital reading. They have a battery with sensor built in together. By the time you need to replace the battery/sensor pack you end up paying more money. I have seen first hand that we have less runs on Kidde Nighthawk unlike others on the market. If you don't have one you need to get one.

Don't forget your smoke detectors. (TEST) Check them out if they are 10 years or older you need to replace the detector.
Don't forget the battery. Replace battery at least once a year like at Christmas time give your self a battery for a present or give it as a present to a loved one. That's a good date for remembering.

Thanks
Be Safe
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Re: CO Monitors- Smoke Detectors

Postby Bigdog » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:17 am

They are available at many places at a reasonable cost too!

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/60 ... v_XSC10001
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:03 pm

That's the one.
Thanks
In my line of work

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:21 pm

Great post. It should be preserved as a "How To" or in the CBoK.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:06 pm

And don't forget another item we should have close by:

The Fire Extinguisher !!!!

I have 5 of them...Two in the house (ones in the kitchen) one in the garage, and two in the barn.

Can't be too careful these days.
Mike Duncan

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:35 pm

Jeff:

Don McCombs wrote:Great post. It should be preserved as a "How To" or in the CBoK.

Don is correct. As a Fireman,if say you and the other fireputerouter professionals on the forum, would be willing to pool your knowledge, it would be nice to have a Fire Prevention and Safety Section in the CBoK in the How To Forum as well as the on-line library CBoK.

What would be cool would be to have a general home and shop Fire Safety/Prevention article section with smoke detectors, Carbon Monoxide detectors and fire extinguishers and where they should all be, what type and how accessible, when to check and when to replace/recharge along with pics and links to recommended units that are UL and CSA approved. Plus it would be awesome to have a section on Fire Prevention and Safety in the Shop/Tractor Barn-Workshop and how to keep stuff safe.

And then here is another.. in the military we had courses on POL safety and proper storage and what containers are approved for Petrol (fuels), Oil and Lubricants. This would really go a long way to help our members, and as an added benefit, if they implemented the suggestions, they might even save money on their fire insurance... (just a thought mind you)... something to do over the winter.

What do you think?????
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:32 pm

Rudi wrote:Jeff:

Don McCombs wrote:Great post. It should be preserved as a "How To" or in the CBoK.

Don is correct. As a Fireman,if say you and the other fireputerouter professionals on the forum, would be willing to pool your knowledge, it would be nice to have a Fire Prevention and Safety Section in the CBoK in the How To Forum as well as the on-line library CBoK.

In the spirit of not reinventing the wheel, there are all sorts of web pages that talk about this and related subjects. Maybe Jeff or whoever could just select some of the better references and give us pointers to them.

For example:
http://www.cdc.gov/nasd/docs/d000701-d000800/d000707/d000707.html
or
http://www.homesafetycouncil.org/safety_guide/sg_fire_w005.aspx
or
http://completehomeshop.com/test_fire.htm

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:03 pm

That would work for parts of the section. There still is lots that would need to be done to pertain to what we do here... I would think... but links would be good.. with reasons why these are good sites.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:45 pm

Test your detectors on a routine basis. If one malfunctions - replace it. Don't just pull the battery to silence it. I can't believe how many times the news reports someone died in a house fire because the smoke alarms didn't have a battery. No excuse. :( :(
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

ellen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ellen » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:08 am

OK I'm gonna stick my neck out at the risk of getting my head bit off, but then I am good at that.

Jeff, You say that even a total electric house needs a CO detector. I assume that is because of the garage, however if you have a detached garage or an open "carport" would you still recommend having one? Now I'm not trying to get out of buying one It just struck me as odd.
Ellen

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:04 am

Ellen:
That's a good question. I have one is the carport attached to the house or is it free standing away from the house?
If it attached & you warm up your car CO can still get into the house.
Jeff
In my line of work

phildidit
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30114
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub "Ms. Scarlett"
1962 Leora's loboy "Starburst"

Postby phildidit » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:28 pm

when we built our house 5 years ago, it was code to at least have one in the house, i have it in the bedroom closest to the garage. we are electric but we do have a wood stove and an attache garage. so we do have a CO detector.

Return to “Safety Forum”