This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Piston and Rings posting continued

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Glenn
10+ Years
10+ Years

Piston and Rings posting continued

Postby Glenn » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:19 pm

Well, I am back from my trip a couple of days early thanks to "Ivan" and I checked old 1956 (no printable name yet) to see if my torture treatment worked, nope.Image[url] Next step, tear down and hammer 'em out, I measured the cylinders at the top and their around 2.620, about 1 1/2" down the bore it runs 2.630. After I clean 'em up and re-measure what are the specs for determining if the block needs to be bored and ring size??

Thanks, Glenn [/url]

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:55 pm

Glenn,
It took me a bit to figure out what you were up to with the jacks, but I got it. What about removing the oil pan, take a bearing cap off and pound the piston upward using a soft-wood dowel. It might be easier to loosen up 1 at a time rather than trying to turn 4 stuck ones with the crank. You gotta take 'em out anyway. I've done 2 engines so far, one I layed on my back doing, the other I removed and used an engine stand. If you have a good size ridge on the top of the cylinders you will need a ridge reamer or you'll bang away for quite awhile before finding that the pistons will not come out. Get them loosened up first, then let the fun begin.
Just Do It !

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

piston and rings

Postby Eugene » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:51 am

I&T manual states the standard bore is 2.625. Your current readings are + and - .005 from standard. I would clean up the engine, hone out the cylinders and take another set of readings and see where you are at. If there are no significant changes in the readings, gouges in the block, etc., I would go with a standard set of rings - I would not have the block bored out.

Double check the taper .010 in 1 1/2 inches is excessive.

The only place I checked for oversized rings was Value-Bilt and they only have over sized rings and pistons at .040 and .060 over.

That's my opinion. May not be worth 2 cents.

Eugene

Glenn
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glenn » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:37 pm

Thanks for the info guys, I am going to pull the engine, put it on an engine stand, and do the wood dowel number.

Glenn

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:05 pm

Don't forget to check for out of round in addition to taper.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”