This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall Super A vs. Cub..

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
smack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Farmall Super A vs. Cub..

Postby smack » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:46 pm

I am looking online at a Super A and I can't really tell from the photos the difference (in size or features) of it compared to a Cub. Any help would be appreciated. I have two Cubs and would like to add another tractor...just can't tell if the Super A is essentially the same or not. I'd like a bit 'larger' tractor, but suspect the next size up is a 'C'. Thanks!
1950 Cub - Daisy, 1959 Cub - Peggy Sue

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall Super A vs. Cub..

Postby Bigdog » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:51 pm

The A or Super A would be the next size up from the cub. Slightly larger in physical size but about twice the horsepower. It is an excellent choice for someone needing something just bigger than the cub. The Super A will have hydraulics and standard pto.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:58 pm

Don't get a Super A. After you use one a little, the next time you are near one of your Cubs, you are just going to want to kick it.

Dimensionally, the Super A is about 1/3 bigger than a Cub, just enough that few implements interchange. It has an overhead valve wet-sleeve engine with about twice the power of a Cub. Transmission has 4 speeds, 3 working speeds plus a road gear of 10+ mph. The Touch-Control system is more powerful than a Cub and also is a double system. There are 2 concentric front rockshafts. The PTO is standard size, speed and direction. The Super A and C have essentially identical engines and gearing through the drive train.

Pony Master
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62253

Postby Pony Master » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:00 pm

The Super A's are good little tractors. Like Big Dog said, a little larger in stature, but twice the horsepower. The Super A's were also equipped to handle a Fast Hitch.
1947 Circle Cub, 193, 189
1954 Cub w/FH, IH100, 194, F11
1956 Cub Loboy w/FH and 194
1960 Cub Loboy w/FH and L-54
1953 Super A, 2 seater B, Avery V, Avery A, JD M, MH Pony, Leader D, Allis Chalmers C, and my Great Grandpa's ZA Minneapolis Moline.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:12 pm

The Super A is one of the best cultivating tractors made 2nd only to the 140 130 and 100 which had a bit more HP.
Like Jim has said,once you uuse the Super A you will not be using the cubs near as much.
And in most parts you can get a SA for about the same amount of money as a cub. It is twice the tractor
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:27 pm

So, all these responces beg the question, "Why is everyone so keen on the cubs, if you admire the Super A so much more"?

oronc
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24153
Tractors Owned: 1950 Allis Chalmers B, 1942 Farmall H,Kubota B2150hst
48 Cubplow,cultiv,carry all,blade.other stuff
and other junk

Postby oronc » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:31 pm

dshawz wrote:So, all these responces beg the question, "Why is everyone so keen on the cubs, if you admire the Super A so much more"?

I was sitting there scratching my head also, But for the same price why not get more.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:39 pm

dshawz wrote:So, all these responces beg the question, "Why is everyone so keen on the cubs, if you admire the Super A so much more"?

If we get enough guys interested in A's and Super A's there will be more cubs for me! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:42 pm

I am sure that it is just a personal preference thing for most. For the jobs that I like to do with it (plow snow and pull an occasional disk) the cub is PERFECT for me. I also REALLY like the efficiency that a Cub brings to the table. Plus, living in the city, where would I EVER be able to park an "A"??

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:45 pm

oronc wrote:

I was sitting there scratching my head also, But for the same price why not get more.
The original question concerns obtaining a tractor larger than a Cub. I have no problem with anyone's suggestion on a larger tractor. As far as price goes, locally, really nice Super C's with an implement (usually mower) sell for less money than a Cub without implements.

Why not get more (tractor)? There is no one answer. I use my Cub more frequently than any other tractor or skidsteer that I own. However, the Cub is small, under weight and under horsepowered for many tasks.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jerry M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27521

Postby Jerry M » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:58 pm

Yeah but, the girls think that the CUB is just so darn cute. :oops: Ya won't get that from an "A". :lol:
1951 Cub, 22 Mower, 54 Grader Blade, Danco International Belly Mower,
193 Moldboard Plow, #144 Cultivators, Disk Hillers, IH Two-Section Spring Tooth Harrow, #16 Middle Buster, #3 Field Cultivator, Hester Tractor Plow, 2 Disk Harrows.

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:04 pm

Wisconsin Mike, I am with you 110% on this subject. I love my cubs and they will do all that I want to do with them. Pete

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:27 pm

No matter what farmall tractor i get next i will never forget my cub roots. I been wanting to get a super A and an H too. That would round out my collection of IH tractors for me anyway. Its just another toy in the sandbox to play with. Plus i don't want to work my cubs too hard too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Jerry M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27521

Postby Jerry M » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:33 pm

Bill, I agree. If you have the room and need for a bigger tractor(s) then of coarse you should get them and even if just for the sake of collecting. I see nothing wrong with that just so ya don't trade your cubs off for them. lol . Like you said, it'll also help to keep from working the cubs to death thus helping in the preservation of the cubs. Excelent idea. :)
1951 Cub, 22 Mower, 54 Grader Blade, Danco International Belly Mower,
193 Moldboard Plow, #144 Cultivators, Disk Hillers, IH Two-Section Spring Tooth Harrow, #16 Middle Buster, #3 Field Cultivator, Hester Tractor Plow, 2 Disk Harrows.

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:59 pm

I was not criti-sizing, (lol)I love my cub. I know those that stated the benefits of the bigger tractors do also. My question was not meant to hijack the subject of a tiller.

Thanks

Return to “Farmall Cub”