This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

"Hello, folks" from a new guy and a few Cub questi

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Deere John
10+ Years
10+ Years

"Hello, folks" from a new guy and a few Cub questi

Postby Deere John » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:01 pm

Hello, all! Just want to introduce myself here as a new guy before I start begging for information. As my username implies, I'm a John Deere man- or more correctly, a guy who owns and loves his John Deere LA and is ready to get a Cub. My two year old son has claimed the JD so my four year old daughter needs a project, which will be a Cub. (At least Wifey thinks the tractors are for our children! :wink: )

I have a Sparta and a John Deere 1 1/2 horse hit-n-miss, an M274A5 military "Mule" with mounted 106mm Recoiless rifle (demilled, of course!), a 60mm black powder mortar, and a few other hobby things. I'm also a long-time member of some gun boards. I did a search for Farmall Cub and came upon this site. I'm pretty green when it comes to cubs, so here goes...

I looked at a nice '47 Cub tonight (low four digit serial number) that could be mine for $1200.00 with a plow blade and one bottom plow. It has no hydraulics. It needs an original frint rim as theres a trailer rim on there now and mis-matched size rear tires, but that's no biggie. The tin is very nice with the exception of the screen on the grill. It also needs a battery box.

My questions are:

A) Would anyone suggest a place that sells used Cub rims?

B) Was the hydraulic system offered as an option in 1947 and if so, can I get a complete unit or would I have to piece it together from several sources?

C) Where can I ge the screen for the grill?

D) Are the early Cubs going for the price the feller is asking ($1200)?

I did do a search and found a link to the place that's closed 'til Sept. 20th. I also found the place that has some repro stuff that's "similar to parts pictured on this page." Any insight on the quality of parts and customer service of places that have these parts would be greatly appreciated. If anyone would rather not bash a company or endorse it on the public forum, please PM me and I will respect any opinion confidentially. Thanks for any help and wish me luck wit this baby cub!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:23 pm

Hey D.J. (Don't want to write your name out here!!!) Welcome. You will find out plenty by searching around this site. Check out H.L. Chauvin's writings and the other info. As far as used parts, click on JP Tractor Salvage & TM Tractor Parts for good deals and excellent service. Also, check out Rudi's web page for Cub manuals.

Don't forget to read the top two posts on this forum. Again, welcome, and don't forget - when your sick you turn green. And when you get better, the red starts coming back :D
Ron

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:23 am

D.J,

WELCOME aboard the CUB CLUB. Not been on here for many months myself. I just bought and restored my first Cub just a few months ago. THIS PLACE IS THE BEST EVER!!! these folks will bend over backwards to help you out. This actually has got to be one of the best forums I have ever been on. The advice is outstanding. No one will ever give you static about asking a question that YOU may think is "dumb" or "stupid" I have not seen the bickering back and forth on this forum as I have so many others. Everyone has their own opinions and the other users respect it.

Nothing wrong at all having one or more those little green tractors. My most used machine in the garage is a John Deere 318 garden tractor. I just love that piece of equipment. Stop to think of it even my weed eater and lawn mower is John Deere. My next tractor will be an old John Deere of some sort. I just love to hear those two cylinder engines run.

Anyhow, there are several experts on this site that will help you and send you to the right locations on what you are wanting to find out. I have seen a few "add-on" hydraulic units, some really nicely done and other's well............you get the picture!

$1200 doesn't sound bad to me at all. I gave 100 bucks for mine, BUT after everything said and done I have almost $1800 in it. Mine is a 1955 Lo-Boy and I it came with the Kub Klipper mowing deck, but the whole tractor was really cobbled up. Had a rope for the throttle rod and dog chains for the rear support for the deck and lots and lots of duct tape EVERYWHERE, there wasn't a wire that wasn't cut in two. Although, some of the things may not have been up to Cub standards, all the major parts where there and intact and the engine was perfect.

My whole restoration project (less engine) has been one of my best experiences ever, it just turned out wonderful. I owe 99 percent of that to this forum. I said it once and I will say it again, THESE GUYS ARE WONDERFUL, each and every one of them. They have a lot to offer and are more than eager to share to help you out.

DON'T HESITATE TO ASK THEM.

John Niekamp

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:52 am

Welcome John! As an occasional contributor and daily lurker, I can attest to the usefulness of this board, not to mention its fine camaraderie. No flaming here, although with your user name you'll probably have to endure some good-natured green jokes (I will readily admit I dream of owning a 420 or 430 some day!). You will find these Cubs to be incredible little machines--well built, to say the least--quiet, and smooth. Parts availability is very good, and many parts are still available from your Case/IH dealer. Tech help is...well, you found it!!!!

The "new members and visitors" post at the top of the board is a MUST READ--you'll enjoy it, and learn more about these machines then you'd ever have suspected.

BTW, I paid $1500 for my '55 Loboy with 3 attachments last year, but because of its very good original condition (complete w/original battery box), I thought it was worth a lot more. You'll see these tractors going for next to nothing to over $3000 and even more.

Good luck, and enjoy!!

Jeff
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:09 am

D.J.,

I'll take a shot at your questions... and maybe my answers will bring more questions.

A. The rims are very common and will be found in unexpected places. Many small 2 wheeled garden tractors used the same wheel. Some are exactly the same and others are wider than the standard 2 1/2" width.

B. The hydraulics were not available in 1947, but when they became available in late 1948 or early 1949 they were offered as a kit for retrofit. You'll see an occasional complete system from a parts tractor offered for sale... they are pricey.

C. You may be lucky enough to have one of the early fine screen grilles that were made only for the earliest Cubs. If so, it will be 8/inch mesh and worth the effort to repair it. If not. reproductions of the later grilles are available from many sources.

D. Depending on your area the $1200 may be reasonable.

Good luck with your baby Cub!
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:37 am

DJ - Welcome aboard! As the others have said - check out the entire site, the links to sponsors etc. I'm sure you'll enjoy restoring the cub. Being a Deere guy, I don't know if you'll be able to handle the extra 2 cylinders or not, but keep in touch with us here and we'll help you work on a real tractor. :) :) :) :)
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Welcome.

Postby allenlook » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:20 am

Welcome to the list! I purchased a new grille for my Cub on eBay a few months ago.

There are many used ones, and I purchased a great "aftermarket" one that looks original.

I also see a lot of them in Red Power magazine.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Details.

Postby allenlook » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:27 am

I went and got the details on the grille I bought...

It was $65, came primed black, and I got it from "meamomma" on eBay. It is the "heavy screen" version of the grille.

Here's a pic

Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Deere John
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Deere John » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:43 am

Thanks so much guys for the many kind welcomes! When my brother-in-law came over with his wife and one year old daughter to see my LA, I discovered that they had taught her to say "yucky" when anyone said, "John Deere!" He loves Internationals so I'm sure he'll be happy now.

PLEASE feel free to call me John instead of DJ! (John is my real name anyway!) I can take a few "Greene" jokes, but you guys will have to live with knowing that the Cub will have to sleep in the same bed, er... garage as the John Deere! I wonder what their kids will look like?

I like the "living with the two extra cylinders" joke! The Cub sounds Like a car running and the Deere sounds like, well, a TRACTOR!

I'll check out all the places mentioned and post some pics of my two wheeled babies when I get a chance. Thanks again to all.

By the way, I also have some questions about degreasing and prepping for paint. I'll be painting with spray cans as I don't have a compressor (yet) or the $ to get one.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:49 am

John - I'm sure many will agree - if you're cleaning and degreasing in preparation to paint - oven cleaner is one of the best things you can use. Just keep it off of the aluminum serial number plate. You don't have to get the good stuff either - the cheap stuff does a great job.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:12 am

John:

Well the rest of the guys beat me to it, but welcome to the Cub Family and to the greatest forum on the net :!:

Can't add much to what has already been said cause you got some great advice.

I currently have a 47 and a 48 with a 51 in pieces at the moment. The 47 grille with the 8 squares to the inch may be available very soon. Bruce, a member of this forum is making repros (each hand made and fitted to each individual tractor). His 5 to the inch are excellent so I am expecting the 8's to be just as well crafted.

As for degreasing and rust removal, check out theElectrolysis Tank article on the Cub Manual Server. Works like a charm. Doing my 47 McCormick Deering Leveling and Grader Blade at the moment... sure reduces the work load.

Remember, even with rattle cans, Prep, Prep, Prep is everything. Make sure you have a good base of primer and sand in between coats for a smoother finish.

Oh, btw. Large compressors (3 hp models) can be rented by the day/week from Home Depot as well as Industrial Air Tool shops in many locations. This might be an option for those who don't have the extra cash to throw at a real good compressor. Just a thought :idea:

Again, welcome to the Cub Family and the Forum. I am sure you will enjoy it immensely. Best you can't stop at one :!: :wink: :lol: They really do get addictive :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Dogman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dogman » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:03 pm

John
welcome

:twisted: this may be a sin :idea: but its one way to hide them from Bigdog

I ran across this at a dealer a couple of years ago He did paint it red before he sold itImage

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:48 pm

John
An other degreaser that works well,is a product called SUPER CLEAN made by Castrol. I buy it at WalMart.I get it in a four liter jugs. By the way it also works as a oven cleaner,but don!t tell the little woman. :wink: Read the directions well.Welcome aboard. :)
owner of 48 fcub 34206 Cub cadets 108/102 with mower,snow thrower and blade

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:38 am

Used rims are a waist of time generaly(sp)
You can get new rims from http://www.millertire.com.
I just got one for the rear $83.00 & change shipped to my house in Wellsville NY.
Rim was $65.00
Shipping was 20 some dollars & I had UPS in 2 days.

PS: where in NY are you.
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Deere John
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Deere John » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:38 pm

I saw reproduction rims on one of the big seller's sites (can't remember their name, but many of their parts are described as "similar to other items pictured on this page") for $40.00. Are they any good?

I'm about 40 minutes south-east of Syracuse. Haven't looked up where wellsville is yet.

I checked out the site for miller's. What rim would I get? I know it's 5 bolt, but off set and all???? If I just got one, would it match the other original exactly?

Thanks!

Return to “Farmall Cub”