This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Should I use Krylon Cherry Red Gloss?... OK, flame away!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Deere John
10+ Years
10+ Years

Should I use Krylon Cherry Red Gloss?... OK, flame away!

Postby Deere John » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Hey, guys. I went to the Cub Manual Server (thanks, Rudi, for the link) and checked out the paint numbers. What I thought was #50 Red, turmed into What-In-The-World-Shade-Of-Red-Should-I-Use-Red?

Knowing that the local John Deere dealer wants $6.59 for a rattle can of Classic Green, I picked up a can of Krylon #2101 Cherry Gloss Red last night at Wal-Mart so I could compare it to my uncle's can of IH Red (I haven't gotten over there to check as of yet), hoping they would be the same and at $2.47 a can, I might save a few bucks. I sanded, primed and coated a piece of scrap steel and it looks close from memory of my uncle's restoration.

I noticed that Sherwin Williams was listed on the Cub Manual Server paint chart and the email address for customer support on my Krylon spray can is"askkrylon@sherwin.com. I'm assuming Krylon is a Sherwin Williams company. I'm going to email them and ask if they have a matching color to IH #50 Red.

Basically, I wondered if any of you guys would know if I were to paint this soon-to-be my cub in Krylon's Cherry Red Gloss, would it be the proper shade or would I have the only 1947 Farmall Cub that looked like it just came out of the garage on the "Pimp My Ride" show? :shock:

Thanks for any advice!!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Color vs. Quality

Postby allenlook » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:30 pm

DJ,

I've avoided Krylon for quality purposes, rather than color match purposes.

I did notice that WalMart Cherry Red looks very similar to IH's, but I used rattle cans of Ace Hardware International Red, and it matched extremely well. They were cheaper than Krylon, and each can was "supersize".
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Deere John
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Deere John » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:35 pm

Hey thanks! Why is it every place is closed on Saturday when I need them to be open????

I'll give Ace a call and check it out.

Deere John
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Deere John » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:26 pm

I called an Ace store that's about 40 minutes from me. They have Ace 15oz cans of IH red for $3.79 and 12oz cans of Krylon for $3.49.

Could you fill me in on the quality problems you had with Krylon? If it's going to fade and turn orange, I'll gladly pay the extra 30 cents a can!

TIA!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:52 pm

John:

No probs on providing the link, that is what it is there for - for everybody to use :!: :D

BTW, IH-50 is not the colour that is used anymore especially for matching. It is IH 2150 Red that is the match now. 50 hasn't been used in many years from what I have read.

The dealer is very competitive on the rattle cans, although it is quite expensive to paint the tractor that way. Have you thought about renting the compressor? The quarts of 2150 at Case are about $21.00 Cdn, so should be around $15.00 or so US, which would make it about 75 times cheaper, even if you rented the compressor :!:

If you go the rental route, I would suggest that you use rattle cans of grey primer to lightly prime the parts as you get them done. Then when you have a sufficient quantity that you can comfortable spray in a weekend, then re-prime with a good hi-build such as Evercoat (NAPA brand) and then the 2150.

Yust me dos centavos...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Dogman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dogman » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:14 pm

Also TSC (tractor supply co.)
4432-01 International Harvester Red (BPS Tractor & Implement )
spray can quarts & gallons

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:36 pm

Dogman wrote:Also TSC (tractor supply co.)
4432-01 International Harvester Red (BPS Tractor & Implement )
spray can quarts & gallons

For chaep but good paint you can't beat it.
$19.99 per gal.
$9.99 per gal for thinner
8.95 for enough hardner for 1 gal.
I have used it not the best but a lot better than rattle cans but not as good as car grade.
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Krylon

Postby allenlook » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:04 pm

Regarding the quality problems with Krylon - fading won't be a problem.

It will blister and fall off long before it fades :(
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Deere John
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Deere John » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:46 pm

If I went with a rental compressor and all, I'm assuming that one just follows directions for ratios of paint, thinner, and hardener?

After using the oven cleaner, do I just hose it off with soap and water or just water or something else?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:08 pm

John:

Yup, I think the recipe is 8:4:1 = paint:reducer:hardener.

Yup, water should suffice for neutralizing oven cleaner. I would only use the oven cleaner where you cannot get at the parts to disassemble. If you disassemble, you may want to try the Electrolysis Tank Method. Sure makes quick easy work of degreasing, derusting and all around clean up the crap work :!: A little rinse, let it dry a bit, then a little tlc with a wire cup brush and you are ready for primer!

If life were as easy as cleaning 60 years of rust :!: :idea: :? :D :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

batty54
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035

Postby batty54 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:20 pm

Just reading this thread and was wondering what type of paint TSC sells that uses hardner?
I worked with my brother inlaws body shop and used hardner with acrylic enamels (dupont centari). Those were good paints, gas resistant with the additive. Use a respirator!!! if using hardner we had a friend who ended up in the ER and hospital for a few days trying to clean the gunk out of his lungs after spraying it.
Krylon spray seems to be a type of laquer base as it is gas resistant too.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:12 am

I don't think the TSC paint actually requires hardener. I've read many a thread on this site where they recommend using a hardener with genuine IH paints too. The hardener just makes the paint more gas and stain resistant, I'm assuming. Birds crapped all over my dad's recently repainted Farmall 400, and the bird crap stained the paint.

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:48 pm

Birds crapped all over my dad's recently repainted Farmall 400, and the bird crap stained the paint.

for this problem, i recommend a 12 guage / #6 shot :)
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Return to “Farmall Cub”