This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Picked up my "new" Cub today... what an ordeal...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Deere John
10+ Years
10+ Years

Picked up my "new" Cub today... what an ordeal...

Postby Deere John » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:31 pm

I picked up the Cub tonight and what an ordeal. I knew the battery was likely dead because the owner bump-started it yesterday. My problem was, I have never started a Cub and the owner was away.

I figured out where the starter lever was and when I moved the round knob, I saw the amp meter move, so I figured that must be the "on" switch. The pull knob at the bottom of the cluster must be for the lights. I just couldn't figure out why it had three positions???? :?

I coast it out of the barn, but the bugger won't fire! I wind up all the way at the bottom of the driveway with no hope of getting it back up. Meanwhile, my two kids are in their car seats wondering what's taking so long. :x

I guessed the pull lever opposite the starter was the throttle. When I finally got gas running out of the carb, I figured out that lever was the choke!

I finally took a close look at the "light" switch and saw that on it was written something about pull to start and push to stop. Now things were looking up.

The battery was dead. I figured I would try a jump with my truck off, hoping I wasn't going to kill anything jumping 12v to 6v. I was desperate as my wife was going to kill me for being so late and I couldn't leave this guys tractor sitting at the end of his drive way.

It cranked and cranked until the gas quit running like a fountain out of the carb. It would start for a second and then quit. I said aloud, "please, Lord, let this thing sart." No sooner did I say that, and it took off! After that, it was smooth sailing.

Now the litle guy is sitting next to Mr. Deere, just waiting to lok like new again...

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:35 pm

Post a photo or a link to a photo if you can. Congrats on your new cub.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:38 pm

It probably sensed that you were going to park it next to a Deere and it was just being stubborn,
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:43 pm

Yep, I'll bet that cub could beat that deere in a fist fight. :lol: :lol: :lol:
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:12 am

l0 wrote:Yep, I'll bet that cub could beat that deere in a fist fight. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bigdog wrote:It probably sensed that you were going to park it next to a Deere and it was just being stubborn,

Don't say I didn't warn you!!!!
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Fair.

Postby allenlook » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:25 am

Maybe it was just tryin' to be nice and run on two cylinders to make friends?

Congratulations on getting your new Cub home! I hope you can post a pic of both tractors. :D
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Dan Robertson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47421
eBay ID: gotowin
Tractors Owned: 55 cub,
74 cub,
Cub Cadet 1515,
Case 580B TLB,
53 Ford Jubilee,
MF 271XE,
JD 3130,
JD gater

Postby Dan Robertson » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:53 am

It would start for a second and then quit. I said aloud, "please, Lord, let this thing sart." No sooner did I say that, and it took off! After that, it was smooth sailing.

Amazing what POWER a little prayer said at the right time can do isn't it! Sometimes I think we wait to long to seek that help.
Glad you got the little cub to it's new home.
:) Dan Robertson :)

:oops: We all make mistakes :oops:
I try to keep mine to a minimum

Deere John
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Deere John » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:44 pm

Thanks for all the kind-hearted slams, guys! I tried posting the pics, but the host server for my pics is down for upgrades or something. I'll post as soon as I can.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:58 pm

Looking forward to seeing your new cub.. I see that you are 40 min south east of syracuse. My cub can't be that far away it is in the town of Franklin at my summer place. I
f you have trouble with parts Catskill tractor in town has been good at getting me what I need. When I order internet I get 10% off too.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:06 pm

John. Loved your story. Had me laughing. My wife wanted to know what I was reading, so I let read it to her. CAUTION: These little tractors can become very addictive. So easy to work on once you get to know them. If they're tuned well, they start quick & reliable. Best wishes with your new toy.
Ron

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

East

Postby allenlook » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:23 pm

I'm not too far east of you - Saratoga Springs. Give me a holler if you're ever around. I figure if I head West to get some parts, and you head east, we'd probably be in the same neighborhood (I have to drive a ways to get parts!)
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:22 am

Sounds more like PEBSWAS syndrome to me... Problem exists between steering wheel and seat :)

Just wondering, what'd you think the notched control on the steering post was? You figured the light switch was the ignition, the ignition was the light switch, and the choke was the throttle. :shock:

Return to “Farmall Cub”