This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Draggin' trees...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Draggin' trees...

Postby allenlook » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:13 pm

Spent a few great hours on Jay tonight. Cut down a bunch of 20' spruce and needed to drag them to the other side of the property, what a hoot! And it sure beat doing it by hand!

This is too much fun... :D :D :D
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:16 pm

Allen:

Cool ain't it 8) :lol: That's why I say Cubs are far too addictive. :lol: Enjoy, but remember to work smart and don't get hurt. Them spruce can fetch up real fast and pop you right off the seat :!: :shock: :oops:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Pop!

Postby allenlook » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:19 am

Yep, that's why I'm attaching them to a chain, and then by clevis to the end of the rear rocker arm, so when I lift them up the stumps can't fetch up and flip me over!
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:27 am

Allen
I watched a fellow use an old car hood VW works good.He would turn it upside down and use it like a tobagon,placing the end of the logs on it .Chaining it all together,and pulling out of the woods. Works quite well. :)
owner of 48 fcub 34206 Cub cadets 108/102 with mower,snow thrower and blade

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Sled.

Postby allenlook » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:28 am

I was looking all OVER the place last night for something I could use like that, but I couldn't find anything quicker than just hitching up to the rocker arm.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Re: Pop!

Postby George Willer » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:35 am

allenlook wrote:Yep, that's why I'm attaching them to a chain, and then by clevis to the end of the rear rocker arm, so when I lift them up the stumps can't fetch up and flip me over!

Allen,

(SHOUTING) PLEASE RE-CONSIDER ATTACHING THE LOAD TO THE REAR ROCKSHAFT!!! ATTACHING TO A POINT ABOVE THE DRAWBAR IS VERY DANGEROUS AND JUST ASKING FOR A REAR FLIP!!! IT IS A VIOLATION OF ONE OF THE VERY FIRST TRACTOR SAFETY RULES!!! JUST JERKING THE CLUTCH COULD CAUSE A FLIP!!! WE CARE ABOUT YOUR SAFETY.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:38 am

I am glad you brought that up. I didn't even think of that. I think a car hood for a sled would be a good investment.
Last edited by WJ on Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: Sled.

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:41 am

allenlook wrote:I couldn't find anything quicker than just hitching up to the rocker arm.

I am not going to try to explain the physics of this. I am not going to go into another long argument either. Simply stated, if you keep doing it you will die. It is not a question of if, just one of when.

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Pop!

Postby Dale51 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:41 am

George Willer wrote:
allenlook wrote:Yep, that's why I'm attaching them to a chain, and then by clevis to the end of the rear rocker arm, so when I lift them up the stumps can't fetch up and flip me over!

Allen,

(SHOUTING) PLEASE RE-CONSIDER ATTACHING THE LOAD TO THE REAR ROCKSHAFT!!! ATTACHING TO A POINT ABOVE THE DRAWBAR IS VERY DANGEROUS AND JUST ASKING FOR A REAR FLIP!!! IT IS A VIOLATION OF ONE OF THE VERY FIRST TRACTOR SAFETY RULES!!! JUST JERKING THE CLUTCH COULD CAUSE A FLIP!!! WE CARE ABOUT YOUR SAFETY.

Let alone that you can die from doing this but also bend,break even totaly ruen the whole lift system.
Just look at the pressure you aer putting on the front rocker shaft by twisting it sideways when you lift to much with the rear.
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:41 pm

Allen:

Listen to George, Jim and Dale. My heart rate is going nuts just thinking about what they said. I can just see it happening too :!:

Try to use a skid of some sort if you can. I just chain em up to the drawbar and watch carefully what I am doing. And I takes me time doin it too :!: Ain't anything in the world worth getting killed over. :roll: :shock:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:48 pm

Allen
If you are skidding logs. What I would try is this.Run a pipe through the square hole (I don!t know what they call it) where you would attach a blade.Tighten up the square headed bolts on the pipe.Run a chain or cable from drawbar, go under the tractorthen over the pipe and back under the tractor to the rear and connect to your logging chain.When you pull it will keep the front of the tractor from lifting upwards.Just be carefull :) :) .

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:00 pm

Bruce - I must respectfully disagree with you. Hitching anywhere other than the drawbar is extremely unsafe. Believe it or not, the tractor will flip just as quick if not quicker hitched the way you described.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:22 pm

I second Big Dog.
When you fetch up the tractor stops going forward and pivots up in the front and over. The tractor now rides you and that ain't good. Some times you ride the tractor and sometimes the tractor rides you.
Its even more often fatal than some times you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you. I have a cousin was grizzly bear et but he is still with us. Never heard of any one making it in a tractor rollover.
Be careful I still want to have an eyeball with you when I am up in Saratoga in November.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Thanks

Postby allenlook » Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:33 pm

Thanks for your concern and sage advice gents :)

I found the perfect item tonight to drag these trees, so I won't have to worry so much about keeping the butt ends up off the ground. Piece of slippery plastic, sort of like the kind of "flexible toboggan" we used to use back in the day, I drilled two holes in it and put it over the drawbar and it hangs down to the ground and back several feet, so the stumps just slide right over the ground. Saves my grass from a real beating :D

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:44 pm

Gentlemen
I respect your opinion, with your experience and knowledge you would know better than I would. :oops:

Return to “Farmall Cub”