This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Gettin' off/on a Cub...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Gettin' off/on a Cub...

Postby allenlook » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:52 pm

No, it's not a dirty topic :D

Being a long-legged galoot I'm having a hell of a time getting on and off the Cub...

Actually I'm only 6', and I can clamber up on the Cub and slide under the steering wheel OK, I guess.

The problem is when I want to get off, there's just no easy way to get my legs out from under the steering wheel and get off the darn thing! It seems like I would be more comfortable with the steering wheel higher and further forward, or the seat further back, but I don't see an easy way to effect either of those adjustments!

And, I'm still missing the cupholder!
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:55 pm

There are 2 positions for the seat post. Virtually all of them are in the forward position. Remove the tool box and the rest will be obvious.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:55 pm

Actually, the optional ejection seat has a cup holder built in. :D :D :D :wink:
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Thx.

Postby allenlook » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:02 pm

Thanks Jim,

I'll take a look tomorrow. The Parts Manual diagram doesn't suggest or show an obvious method for adjusting the seat fore or aft.

Must be hidden under the tool box there somewhere! I hope it works, because it'll be nice to be able to get off the tractor without wearing the steering wheel in my gut.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:33 pm

Allen
I have the opposite problem,being only 5 ft 6 in tall. My promlem is the brakes. SOOO! I am thinking of making an extended plate to put between the existing seat plate and seat with extra holes for the seat to attatch to it.In my case forward,in your case backward. Not expensive and very simple to do.What do you think? :-:-): :wink:
owner of 48 fcub 34206 Cub cadets 108/102 with mower,snow thrower and blade

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Cool.

Postby allenlook » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:38 pm

Seems like a great idea - I'll have to take a look under the seat post tomorrow to get a better idea of what you mean...

By the way, how much travel do you have to your brake pedals? Mine only move far enough to engage the second notch on the parking brake lever, and then I gotta stomp on 'em good to flip the lever down... I would think you'd be very comfortable driving/braking Jay?

Would it help just to shorten up your brake pedal travel?

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:03 pm

Shoot I'm 6'4" and I've never had a problem (the seat post is in the forward :arrow: position). The only complaint I have is the bare seat pan :shock: Which will (should) be solved next weekend 8)

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:05 pm

Allen
Mine has very little brake travel. I only have one brake.I have not gotten that far back yet. I am doing one piece at a time. As they say in the airline industry,it is a sick hanger queen,and a hobby. Carb job, 3 bolsters and rads, removed mag replaced with rebuilt dist, coversion back to 6 volts, new grille, new 6 volt battery, and every thing is going in the tank.Switching with parts tractor. I pay very close attention to this site and learn something new every day.it!s something to behold. If I need other advice I have another expert to go to as well. The tractor purrs like a kitten,and the grandchildren love it.The little woman thinks :wink: I am crazy but they don!t know everything either. :wink: :)
owner of 48 fcub 34206 Cub cadets 108/102 with mower,snow thrower and blade

Mike Schmudlach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike Schmudlach » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:38 am

You should try getting on and off a Cub with a 2 way plow with a hand lift.
I think I will donate my Cub with a 2 way plow at Cubarama for a contest to see who can get on and off the thing the fastest. I will not accept any liabilty for any injuries occured. :-)

Mike
30 + tractors including 2 French Super Cubs, French Cubs, 1963 Industrial Cub, 1955 Cub Highcrop etc...German and French built IH tractors and some bigger IH tractors. Of course I have about 20 IH trucks and an IH refridge in the Shop.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:50 am

Is anybody here besides me old enough to remember the old Hertz car rental commercials that said "Let Hertz put you in the driver's seat." And the guy floated into the moving convertable?
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:24 am

Unfortunately as far as that ad is concerned the answer is yes :roll: :roll:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:39 am

I'm not exactly a small guy, 6'1" and ~280lbs.

To get on, I actually climb over the back: Left foot on the drawbar, grab steering wheel, right foot swings up to the platform, step up, swing left leg over the seat and down through, past the steering column, plop down in seat. Just like getting on the old Farmalls I grew up driving :)

Off is a different story, and much simpler: I basically swing out to the right, legs over the tire, and push off.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:40 am

Bigdog,

It's the same guy as in the Enzite commercials, without the hat :lol: :lol: 8)

Don from Indiana
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Don from Indiana » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:32 pm

Used George Willer's diagram for a step. Made one. Don't know how I got along without it. Thanks again George.

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:42 pm

the step makes it easier and will prevent breaking the steering post off at the bottom. take a look at Pete's. my tires are set dish out, so climbing on from the rear is easy too, 'cause you can step on the top of final drive housing.
course, trading up (in size) to an 'H' would also do the trick :)

'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Return to “Farmall Cub”