This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Engine Weight

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
huisjen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Engine Weight

Postby huisjen » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:43 am

Hi. I'm new here.

I've got a '47 Cub with a crack in the block, front right, sort of hidden behind the water hose where the block mounts up to the front suspension. It drips oil when running and visibly moves when I step on the cultivators.

I'm looking at buying another block, which comes complete with head, front pulley, pistons and crank, oil pan, and clutch. The question is how much is this all going to weigh. If it's under 150# then DHL will ship it for $85. If it's over that then DHL won't do it and UPS will charge $210. The seller doesn't know, and won't until it's on a scale at a dock somewhere.

Any guesses?

Dan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:57 am

I'm not sure of the exact weight but a complete engine as you describe will weigh more than 150 lbs. 8)

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:05 am

Dan,

I really don't know the weight, but my guess is that even with the head and flywheel removed it will still weigh more than 150#.

That weak spot failure is fairly common and can be dealt with several ways... the best being replacement. My suggestion would be to search for an engine within reasonable driving distance and make a road trip. The shipping can be a killer.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

huisjen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby huisjen » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:39 am

Thanks George. I double checked with DHL. It turns out that if it's over 150# then they can't ship it in a time-critical manner (like one week). All they'll say is that it will get here eventually (like two or three weeks). But that's still good enough, and much cheaper than UPS.

The crack in my block is close to the spot you show, but just around the corner. It's maybe an inch back from your little yellow line. It's been welded once. When we got the tractor it was covered with grease and some sort of grey plastic patch. I could patch it again, but since it moves... Or I could get it welded again, but that's shown itself not to work at least once already. So I'm going to try this other engine, maybe setting myself up to have to do something new and try my hand at rebuilding it.

Dan

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

'Nuther great pic.

Postby allenlook » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:40 am

George,

Another great picture - thank you!

It makes it a lot easier on us newbies to envision what to look for when there's a flaming yellow line on a picture of the actual object! No matter how well it's described, it's still not easy to envision and then look for a crack going on a verbal (textual) description alone.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”