This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

3160 Mower deck woes

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John M
10+ Years
10+ Years

3160 Mower deck woes

Postby John M » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:43 pm

On Rudis suggestion im posting this here with hopes of resolving this problem.I have a 3160 deck on my 154,I have rebuilt all 3 spindles,new blades and belts,deck is level.I have problems with it scalping in certain areas in my yards and it leaves a trail of grass in the same are that the outside left blade rides,as if sitting on it.It does throw some out the side,but not all of it.I have switched blades around and still have the same problem there,new gauge wheel and assembly on each side,and new skids.Tires are are proper level and on same level surface as I chekced it deck,it sits level.I have changed,replaced,leveled,tightened lossened and cussed til my head exploded :x .Any ideas as to what it going on,do they make "high lift" blades for these things? :idea: Thanks!~

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:19 am

You're unclear as to whether this "trail of grass" is cut or uncut. Grass not coming out the discharge indicates to me that it's somehow obstructed.

Do you know how to adjust the blades on the deck to cut level? I don't, and would probably screw it up if I decided to just "wing it." Just a thought.

If everything is new, it's probably just a simple adjustment.

Another thought: You mention that the deck is "level." I seem to remember someone mentioning that the deck should be running uphill, or downhill. I just don't remember WHICH :(

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:01 am

The front of the deck should be just slightly lower than the back, so the grass only gets cut once.

From here, it looks like one spindle isn't turning up to full power. With the engine stopped, make sure that turning the left blade will turn the rest of the mower.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John M » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:59 am

All three blades are cutting right,its just that under the left blade it leaves a trail of cut grass.Its not a big deal when I keep the yard cut down besause it isnt that bad,but having to cut this three acre lot with a house in the middle evry Sat is taking time away from the shows,and I hate missing the shows!Someone had sent me an email suggesting that maybe the deck was indeed like both of you said and level front to back as well,which I think it was.Ill set it right and see what happens next week if it gets up hiogh enough by then,thank goodness its getting cool now!

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”