This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Season Long Garden Log For 2008! (With Pictures)

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Season Long Garden Log For 2008! (With Pictures)

Postby DanR » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:08 am

I hope my garden does better next year than it did this year. I would like to have something positive to say next year. Thanks Sonny
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:04 pm

Dan!!!---Never give up on a garden!!!---some years are not so good and some crops don't do too well some years!----just like big farming, they don't always have good years either, (I have been on that side of the coin too!!!), but for the garden,-- start thinking about what wasn't right!--sometimes even the weather related problems can be worked around for next year!---some folks may need to try raised bed gardens, around here we are lucky to be able to just plow and go, but I know some areas that won't work!---our biggest problem is getting water to our gardens when they need it the most!--I try to plant drought tolerant varieties if possible,--that helps a little! Keep the chin up and be here next year postin' in 2009 season!! thanks; sonny

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:30 pm

Just as the weather was getting bad, I noticed that our garlic was about 4 inches tall and that would be right on target for it!--I covered it with peanut shells to help protect it from the winter cold/wind and the snow is helping a little too!

Did anyone else plant garlic? thanks; sonny

flyawa
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66701
Tractors Owned: .
1 1948 Cub
2 1950 Cubs
1 1951 Cub
1 1952 Cubs
1942 Farmall H
1939 Ford 9N
1930 John Deere D
1941 John Deere B
1948 Allis Chalmers C
1956 Farmall 400
1945 Chrysler Airport Tug
Location: KS, Fort Scott (S.E. Kansas - Home of the people of the south wind; the Kansa)

Postby flyawa » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:33 pm

Just picked the last of the turnips. A few have a touch of freeze damage but still are very tasty. Most are still excellent.

I planted the whole garden to turnips after the early drown-out. Have been giving them to everyone I know. :)
"Maintain thine airspeed lest the Earth rise up and smite thee"

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:56 pm

Turnips are a cool weather crop, so I bet they are nice and tender!!! I only had the early planted ones here!--Too hot and dry to do the fall planting this year!!---maybe in 2009!!!
If I lived 500 miles closer I would be right over and get some!!! thanks; sonny

Miss Farmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30102
eBay ID: staasee
Tractors Owned: no Cub : (

Postby Miss Farmall » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:44 am

we grow nothing! well, Christian has a strawberry patch and one blueberry bush I got him last spring... we get a good bit of strawberries and he loves them. I am going to branch out a bit more this spring and see what i come up with. i enjoy your pics
Just call me coconut... Blonde on the inside!
I'd suggest you just stop talking and walk away lest I forget I was raised to be a lady.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:09 pm

Miss Farmall!!! expand your garden,---decide what you would like to grow,---then go for it!!! If you have questions ,or need info, just ask here and you will get methods and ideas of what has worked for other folks!---AND its free!!!
Charge up the ole' camera and post pics in the 2009 garden log for this coming season of your progress!!---also post pics of your garden equipment and the garden itself!---Its interesting to see how different the plant zones and season starting dates are across the nation!!
We are in plant zone #5 here in Illinois and our frost date is around April 15 or so,-- average date!---choose varieties that do well in your area and test a few that are not known to work, just for fun!!!
We grew some peanuts in 08 and they did great, they were way out of their climate area, so you never know what will work until you try a season and see!! thanks; sonny

Dave F.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dave F. » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:10 pm

Boldpsi, Wow that's some squash plants, Where I live I have trouble with squash bugs, You have any tips or recommadations, Thanks Dave F.

phildidit
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30114
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub "Ms. Scarlett"
1962 Leora's loboy "Starburst"

Postby phildidit » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:43 am

Miss Farmall wrote:we grow nothing! well, Christian has a strawberry patch and one blueberry bush I got him last spring... we get a good bit of strawberries and he loves them. I am going to branch out a bit more this spring and see what i come up with. i enjoy your pics

i think tou need to get another blueberry bush of a different variety to get blueberries.....at least tha's what they told me when i bought mine last fall. :D

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub

Postby Kodiak » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:28 pm

Been wanting to get some bluberries out the last 3 or so years but just didn't get around to it. I think I may try my hand at putting out some cuttings. The neighbor has lots of bushes and he'll be glad to let me try it.
Anyone ever grow popcorn???? Well I did this year. My Grandfather used to grow this stuff and I always remembered it. I finally found some seed on line and ordered it turned out rather well and it will be back in the garden this summer :D
Its called Strawberry Popcorn

It pops up snow white and is smaller than the commerical stuff you get in the grocery store but is still very good :!:

Here's the garden overall and a close up of the popcorn on the stalk.....

And last but not least my Little Helper, she had a ball this past summer in the garden for the very first time. She planted and grew her own watermelons that her Great Grandmother (my Mom) gave her the seeds for :D
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”