This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Help with making metal plate!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BOB K.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Help with making metal plate!

Postby BOB K. » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:38 pm

I have a set of mid mount Sunflower reel mowers for my Cub. I am planning on restoring them. The steel plate use to hold the tires on are rusted and rotted. I showed it to a local wleding shop and told me he could make them. it would only cost $600.00 to make a die to stamp them. Then the cost of each plate.I was hoping that someone might have some ideas. I Have photos maybe someone could post for me. Thanks, Bob

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:01 am

Bob,

I sent you an email, I would be more than happy to upload your picture(s) on my server and then post them here for you. I would be more than happy to show how to post them yourself, too.

If you want me to upload them, send me a reply email with the attached pictures and I will take care of the rest.

John Niekamp

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Postby allenlook » Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:11 am

I think I would whittle them myself with a dull rock before I'd pay $600 plus!

I worked in a huge machine shop in a former life, so I'm interested to see the pics.

Something else I've used, now that I'm a meek IT-type with no world-class presses and metal-working tools is http://www.emachineshop.com...
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:31 am

Allen:

The link is broke. Hopefully only temporarily. :?:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Link.

Postby allenlook » Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:46 am

Actually I think the link accidentally included the ellipsis character - "...", let's try this one.

http://www.emachineshop.com
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:17 pm

Ok guys, here's a couple of pictures of Bob's disk that he needs some ideas on. Let's put out thinking caps on and help this gentleman out.

I left the pictures in full content, just the way Bob emailed them to me.

Thanks,

John Niekamp

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:59 pm

Question,
Are these the rims that hold the rubber tire.
If they are I would start checking out some of the ond reel mowers cause the rims aer the same size it may take a little while to find all of them that you need.
just my .02
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:33 pm

Bob:

Here is another suggestion. :roll:

Check out the local golf courses and see what type of reel mowers they are using. If theirs is similar, you may be able to get replacement discs from their parts places. Also, landscaping companies that do yard maintenance. They may have them as well.

Can't hurt :roll: :idea: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

BOB K.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BOB K. » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:36 pm

Yes these plates hold the rubber tire on. I have been checking with places the deal with old reel mower, But no one can help. It seems that most old reel mowers had tires mounted on 1 peice rims. This does not let me switch ove ethier.

BOB K.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BOB K. » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:05 pm

Just wondering if anyone came up with a good idea? Thanks, Bob :D

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:23 pm

Bob,

This is not going to be an easy task, especially if you don't have the correct equipment.

I have been giving it some thought ever since you emailed me the pictures to post. Even with the pictures it's still hard to see the whole picture.

If your just looking for somethng to work, what if you take ome thinwall tubing 16ga cut you of the correct lenghts and then plamsa arc and end plates out of flat 16 ga sheet metal then tig weld the ends on for flanges and then the end plates.

All together there would be three parts all fabricated.

(measurments here are only a aprox. from your tape scale)

1. flanges 8-3/4" OD by 8-1/4" ID (for the tire beads)
2. flat sheet metal 16 GA. by 8-1/4" OD (end caps)
3. ERW tubing how ever wide the center need to be (rims)

This is only a thought, like I said not seeing exactly what it looks like, it appears to have some angles and such, these can be accomplished by hydraulic press and some different sizes of pressing fixtures or what we use a lot of is various diameters of thick wall tubing. It will take some time, but it can be done. You may albe be able to have the rim rolled with the correct bead lip and then only thing you would have to do is weld down the center and weld on some end plates. AGAIN, it may not cost effective to do this, if you don't have access to this type of equipment.

600 Bucks is out of the question, well at least it would be a no brainer for me. I'd figure out something, ANYTHING before spending that amount of money.

John Niekamp

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:20 am

You might try using the "spun" metal technique where a metal disc is spun in a lathe and pressure applied with a tool to cause it to form to or against a die or buck. Have a woodworker/turner turn a hardwood die or buck on a lathe to the shape of the piece you want and use it for the die. A lot of things of that type (shallow metal disc, bowls, pans, etc.) were made using the spun metal process and the first thing that comes to mind are the Spun Aluminum Moon Disc wheel covers made by Moon Equipment back in my hot rodding days in the 50's-60's. I don't know how many you need, but if the metal is not too thick, you might get by using a front and rear die turned from thick hardwood (or back them up with metal plates) and "stamping" them with a hydraulic press. Just some thoughts.

Return to “Farmall Cub”