This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

spreading tires

Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450 & 560 Tractors, 1939-1963
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
grunt
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 51557
eBay ID: spec [77]
Tractors Owned: 52 cub
40ish Farmall M with JD bucket

spreading tires

Postby grunt » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:48 pm

I just got my M today and I want to start moving some dirt but I need to widen my tires on the back to get a more stable base. I have not taken a close look at the tires yet and I dont have my binder books yet soo.. I figured I would just ask here. Is there any trick to spreading the tires apart?
Thanks.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: spreading tires

Postby Bigdog » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:33 pm

If you haven't already done so, start by spraying the bolts on the hub clamps and spray some penetrant on the clamps themselves.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:26 am

Yep let them soak a couple of days!!! Keep spraying them too!!! Kevin mine are out a little to far.My H was a grass cutter. :twisted: :twisted:
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:51 pm

Assuming you are not real familiar with the M or H wheel arrangements (both the same setup, just size is different), the first thing we need to know is which way the wheels are turned. if they are dished in, step one is to turn them around so they are dished out. to do this you will need to support the tractor, and loosen the 2 bolts that clamp the wheels to the axle, both inside and out (2 each side). If they are already dished out, loosen the bolts and slide the wheels out. If the axles are rusty, you may need to clean with strips of emery cloth, wire wheel in a drill or grinder, etc. The can be loosened up if binding by driving in circles while carefully watching the wheel movement. You can even move them in and out this way, just be careful you do not run them off the end of the axle. A couple words of warning. You are dealing with a center dish weighing nearly 200 pounds, rim another 50 to 75, tire at a couple hundred, if it has weights, 150+ each. If it has fluid in it another 500 pounds per wheel. Ending up with a total between 400 and 950 pounds approximately per wheel. They can get you down and stomp on you once they are off the axle.

Here is me loosening the axle clamps at the age of 5. I was good looking even then :lol:

and a better picture of the clamps, not the bolts are turned down in this picture, and there is another set like them on the inside of the wheel. Do not be surprised if it takes a large cheater to loosen them. On one I hauled for Cub-bud I used a box end wrench with a 4 foot pipe slid over it and was beginning to wonder which was going to give first. Threads loosening, bolt (high strength) breaking, or wrench breaking.

I was in the process of installing more weights and getting new tires in that picture.

If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:16 pm

How many weights you got??? WOW :shock: :shock: :shock: I know I got some THANKS AGAIN!!!!Kevin :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:54 pm

John, I really like those high-pocket style short pants!!!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

grunt
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 51557
eBay ID: spec [77]
Tractors Owned: 52 cub
40ish Farmall M with JD bucket

Postby grunt » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:50 pm

thanks these response are awsome It also gave me a idea about how to lift up the rear of the tractor. I was able to easily move the sand in my front yard (whith the wheels in) which is pretty flat but I wanted to widen the back when I move dirt behind the house since it has more of a slope. Not a unsafe slope mind you but still.
Pluss I need to learn how to do this any ways.
Wife had a good time too.. I will get some pics up tommarow.
To bad I got to work nights for a while before I get to turn wrenches on my M again :oops:

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:57 pm

With today's economy be glad you are working any shift
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:14 pm

One thing that seems to help when I move the wheels on the 230 (exact same design, just a little smaller) is to have the axle turned so the axle keyways are to the side--at 9:00 and 3:00. This way the weight of the wheel isn't 100% on any one keyway. It may just be my imagination but seems to help. With a clean axle I can move my wheels in just a few minutes--takes longer to find the jack, wrench, and cribbing than it does to actually move the wheel......

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

red56turbo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 52742
Tractors Owned: Check out my signature!

Postby red56turbo » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:44 am

Grunt,
As the others have said, spray them with penetrating oil and let em sit. Once you get the bolts loose, they may slide right over but are very heavy, so be careful. A trick my dad and I have used is jack the tractor up and make sure she's stable. If they are stubborn moving out, take a handyman jack and put the base on the end of the axle with the jack sticking straight out horizontal to the ground. Wrap a chain through the cast and loop it over the handyman claw. Slowly jack it and if everything is loose, she will slide out while jacking. Of course it takes two people and work carefully. If you were needing them to go in, jack the wheel up, wrap a chain through the wheel and around the seat or something stable. When you rotate the wheel, the chain will wrap and pull the wheel in, once again, not forcing anything to break anything. After working on alot of tractors, we have it perfected. Sorry so long.

Red56
Tractors in the stable: '62 560D Cub Cadets in the stable: 782D, 1572 SGT, 1772 SGT, 1782 SGT

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:39 am

At one time, somebody made a tool, a flat/straight ball bearing, basicly a row of balls held together on a flat strip. You oriented the wheel with the keys top and bottom, loosened the clamp enough to stick the tool into the bottom keyway, rotated the wheel 1/2 turn then slid the wheel to the new location. Make another 1/2 turn to pull the tool out and tighten the clamp. I haven't seen one in years.

Return to “Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450, & 560”