This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

rescue animals

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

rescue animals

Postby daddydip » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:06 pm

i was just wandering if anyone else has any experience with rescue animals? i was looking for a good farm dog and picked up a jack russell from the local rescue lady.the dog has a split personality, one second lovable the next totally psycho. vicious little bugger. i'm trying to work it out ,and as long as he doesn't sink his teeth in any of the family i'll keep working with him. just wondering if anyone else has had any similar situation. he's isolated, but that really takes the fun out of having him. i need that dog lady from the tv show. michael
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: rescue animals

Postby RaymondDurban » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:50 am

Although no 'amimal expert', I believe you are noticing the personality traits of a Jack Russell. I didn't want a dog, but had one dropped off by family member who thought by daughter had to have a new friend. :x The dog turned out to be OK, very smart but like you said has a split personality. One minute, calm and relaxed laying down next to your feet, the next thing you know, he's running laps around the living room praticing for the Daytona 500! Very easy to house break. Very smart but very hyper. He is very good with kids, loves to play and also very protective of my daughter. He sleeps in her room and will bark at anyone that tries to enter her room at night while she is sleeping. All in all he has been good, but still has alot of puppy in him (4 months old) and drives me to the edge sometimes. I still wish he was made of plastic and only had to put batteries in him. :|

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel

Postby Joe Malinowski » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:00 am

I have 2 friends that have Jack Russells. What you said pretty much describes the dogs, one mellowed out and stopped the psycho show by around 4 the other, well cute to look at from afar.
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:19 am

We've had a few rescue animals, Not Jack Russells. The above descriptions, seem to fit that breed. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:46 pm

we saved/rescued all of our dogs. Even Punkin.

First we got a full size black and tan dachound from the pound at age 2, or so in 2000. Doogie was scared of men, men with hats, and terrified of feet. He has been a great part of the family and protective and assertive until you tell him it is ok. The rest of the time, he is a lazy meatloaf. he is 9 or 10 now.

In 2002, we adopted a 6yr old Jack russel. Lets you know when someone is here, but scared of her own shadow. She has never really played and is a meatloaf.

Last year we got Punkin at 6weeks. La. Catahula Leopard Dog. Flea bitten, worm infested runt of the liter. She has a big voice, very assertive but friendly, AND PLUMB FULL OF PISS AND VINEGAR! Catahula's are a herding dog, hunting dog, all around farm dog. Down south they use them to hunt wild boar. She is plumb full of natural instinct, and loves to be with her Daddy(me)

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:42 am

The only problem with rescue animals is that you never know what you are going to get until you get them. We worked with RAGOM (Retrieve a Golden of Minnesota...Golden Retriever rescue) and adopted a 11 year old golden Retriever in 2002. He was a GREAT dog, but had his personality issues. He was of the "neglected" type instead of the "abused" type, so he was a VELCRO dog. He didn't like it when you left for the day (or for 10 minutes!)... He was also a little obsessive compulsive. Bowser was NOT agressive at all...in fact one of my kids could reach down and take food out of his dish and he wouldn't do anything to them...just as docile as anything. When we got Bowser, we thought we would have him for a year or two since Goldens don't usually live very much longer than he was old at the time....WELL.... I just had him put down about 4 months ago at 17! He was a great dog...

I think it really depends on what kind of life the dog had before he was rescued... I feel that most dogs can be saved, but require a LOT of help when they are subject to a "previous owner"...

My $0.02 worth...

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”