This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rod Bearing Condition on 240 Utility

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rod Bearing Condition on 240 Utility

Postby Bigdog » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:37 am

Paul -bearing clearance affects oil pressure because it provides resistance to flow. It's like holding your finger over the end of a water hose to make the water squirt out with more pressure. The fully open hose provides lots of flow under low pressure but as you restrict the flow the pressure in the system builds to push the fluid through. The tighter bearing clearance the higher the pressure that is developed by the pump to push the volume of oil through the smaller openings.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:33 am

Paul_NJ wrote:Eugene, SONNY, and Stan

Thank you for all of the help and suggestions. Sure is great to be able to have friends with experience looking over your shoulder!

The nail sounds like a great idea for getting the upper main shells out. Could you explain how the main bearing clearance affects the oil pressure? I've heard that before, but never understood it?

I'd love to replace the rear oil seal, but I don't think it can be done without splitting the tractor. The front one also looks like it's leaking. If I didn't have a loader on the tractor I might do a lot more.

Want to see something really ugly? Here's what I saw the first time I removed the rocker cover:
0640ss.JPG

Guess I'd better take the oil pump apart, clean and check it out, just in case,

Paul that is a grimey looking engine. I have parts out of a 330 U if you need some valve train stuff. Just let me no
shipping cost only
I think you will be fine with just putting in new bearings. But check the sizes on all the mains IH had a habit of putting in a few thousands oversize bearings on some of the journals
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:42 pm

Paul that is a grimey looking engine. I have parts out of a 330 U if you need some valve train stuff. Just let me no shipping cost only

I think you will be fine with just putting in new bearings. But check the sizes on all the mains IH had a habit of putting in a few thousands oversize bearings on some of the journals

David

Thank you very much for the offer. I actually had a tough time finding three aftermarket replacement valve push rods (to replace my bent ones) earlier this year. I could only find them at IH, and while I forget exactly they wanted something like $20 apiece for new ones. I purchased serviceable used ones through Hoober.com (IH mail order) for $9 each. Wish I had asked you first!

Here's that same head after I sent it out for rebuilding. They did all the work, I just painted it!

0233ss.JPG
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:49 pm

But check the sizes on all the mains IH had a habit of putting in a few thousands oversize bearings on some of the journals

I miked all of the crank journals with a micrometer and a dial caliper when I couldn't get the micrometer in. I found them to be within spec, and also the difference 90 degrees apart was 0.003 or less. So they look good.

Problem is how do you check the main journals while the crank is still in the engine? I can't get close enough with a micrometer or caliper to do so.
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:28 pm

Problem is how do you check the main journals while the crank is still in the engine? I can't get close enough with a micrometer or caliper to do so.
Plastigage. Use the largest diameter stick you can find.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”