This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Air Cleaner

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Air Cleaner

Postby Paul_NJ » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:18 pm

Just finished painting my aircleaner housing. Should have thought of this first, obviously, but I have to ask. Is it worthwhile soaking the air cleaner in solvent to remove accumulated dirt, etc. I know the oil bath below is supposed to catch the dirt, but does the mesh in the upper section get contaminated and clogged??

Paul
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:33 pm

I cleaned My screen with repeated squirtings of El`cheapo Wal-mart carb-cleaner. I buy them spray cans by the case and use it for many different things. It is a great cleaning prep for cleaning bare metal before painting also.
Then came Bronson

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:54 pm

Paul:

Simple answer - YUP :!:

I cleaned mine with Gunk DeGreaser. Let it soak for a day or so (mostly cause I forgot it), then blew it out with compressed air. Clean as a whistle. Gonna do it again before I paint.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

air cleaner

Postby Eugene » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:48 am

The air cleaner body will get clogged up with dirt and debris - mud dobbers, etc.. I remove the entire air cleaner from the tractor. Soak the air cleaner parts in the parts washer supply tank (kerosene will do) for several days. Jiggle every so often. I then run parts cleaner solvent through the air cleaner body until the fluid comes out clean.

Usually the above described method works well. For a really clogged air cleaner, you can take it apart. You can then get a brush or thin stick inside to help clean out the "stuff".

Return to “Farmall Cub”