This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

I won! (vanity)

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

I won! (vanity)

Postby George Willer » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:59 pm

Sometimes these jobs are more difficult than they should be. We all know that removing the front pulley from the crankshaft of a Farmall Cub can be a difficult job… but this one was particularly stubborn.

I finally won, and wanted to share the experience.

Beginning At the beginning… I'm swapping an engine from a 154 Cub to a '48 F-Cub that had a shot engine. This means swapping a lot of stuff, including the flywheel/clutch and front pulley. The front pulley on the '48 had the ears for the hand crank damaged, so I went to Scruffy's old engine for a better donor. That's where the trouble began.

1. The project began normally with rigging my modified puller as I have done many times in the past. I applied the usual force and then some… no joy. Under the heavy load, the 1/2 x 20 x 3 1/2 began to bend to the side.

2. I made a bushing to fit the bore of this pulley and with a 1/2" hole for the bolt so the bolt couldn't bend, and applied more force. Under the additional force, the jaws of the puller began to spread. I was hoping to use a different setup with a bearing splitter, but the timing pointer resisted all efforts to remove it.

3. Fearing breaking the pulley flange, I rigged several wraps of aircraft cable threaded through extra holes in the puller jaws tightly to keep the jaws from spreading. No joy!

4. Now it's time to get serious! I put the impact wrench on the puller and torqued it up to the maximum. Still no joy!

5. It's time for the big guns. Out come the big guns. While the puller is on maximum pull, I begin to heat the pulley. I apply heat with an AO torch until the entire hub is glowing a dull red, and the oil inside the engine is on fire. Still no joy!!!

6. Out comes the heavy air chisel, and while the hub is still red, I hammer on the outside of the hub with a flat tool… a lot, hoping to expand it a bit. Between the hammering and more rattling with the impact wrench, I see a very slight movement. As I later found out, the extreme force was enough to cause the 1/2" bolt to buckle slightly.

7. Bottom line… by using progressively longer bolts, I was able to get the pulley off with the flanges intact.

8. I hope none of my friends find one this difficult to get off. This one will be modified a bit before I put it on the 154 engine.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:57 pm

Mr. GW,

Glad you got that stubborn thing off :!: 8)

PS
I don't think it's vain to be proud 8)

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:25 pm

:lol: George, That sounded like you really had a tough battle with that one. "Whew", I worked up a sweat just reading your _Blow by Blow_ description. Glad to hear you ended up becoming the victor. :{_}:
Then came Bronson

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:43 pm

Glad it was you and not me, I'd probably have given up and bougth another one.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:43 pm

Nice goin' Grandpa! I never had any doubt. :wink: :wink:
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:09 pm

Gawd George:

I really hope I never have to go through that. I think I would echo John and just bought another..... :roll:

You have a darn sight more patience than I. Bravo :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Chris Palmer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chris Palmer » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:44 am

George and all,

Although I usually lurk long enough to find my anwser, curiosity is killing me on this one. Is the motivation for this new project to create another member of you unique family of Cubs by means of a higher horsepower standard Farmall Cub? The 154 was rated at about 15 hp vs. the 9 or so for the FCUBs. More power? Faster ground speed? Inquiring minds want to know........

Chris Palmer
2 '48 Cubs, a '77 184, and a couple bigger IH tractors

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:14 am

Chris Palmer wrote:George and all,

Although I usually lurk long enough to find my anwser, curiosity is killing me on this one. Is the motivation for this new project to create another member of you unique family of Cubs by means of a higher horsepower standard Farmall Cub? The 154 was rated at about 15 hp vs. the 9 or so for the FCUBs. More power? Faster ground speed? Inquiring minds want to know........

Chris Palmer
2 '48 Cubs, a '77 184, and a couple bigger IH tractors

Good to hear from you again, Chris.

You've nailed it... in part. Another part is "just because". A third part is to make up a Cub that can outpull Scruffy.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:44 am

Awesome - George, would you like to come and live with me?
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:17 pm

Could you describe or post pics of your puller??

Thanks
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:33 pm

Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end.
- Unknown

So George the disclamer is really true . If anyone could Git er Done! I knew it would be You .Steve
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

denton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24550
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Cub
1951 Ford 8N
1953 Allis CA (not running)
1996 Kubota M4700

Postby denton » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:22 pm

Mr. Willer
I have pulled three of those, and each time it seemed like something would break or melt before I could get them off. Anyway I dressed the crank just a tiny bit before reassembly and things went much smoother on installation. What do you suggest for cleaning up the pulley/crank prior to installation. ds

Return to “Farmall Cub”