This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1948 Cub clutch adjustment

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dave F.
10+ Years
10+ Years

1948 Cub clutch adjustment

Postby Dave F. » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:59 am

My 48 cub needs to have the clutch adjusted, The gears rake as you put it in gear. and the pto won't stop intirely when you press on the clutch. There is no pedal adjustment. Like my 52 cub has. so how do you adjust the clutch. Thanks Dave F.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:57 am

Dave,

It's difficult to do it accurately with the tractor together and is best to do it by splitting. Having said that, it can be done through the hand hole. The problem is you need one hand for the wrench, one for the stubby screwdriver, and one for the measuring tool. It gets crowded with all 3 hands in there! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The levers should be adjusted so they are 1 1/4" from the plate and all exactly alike. I only did it once through the hand hole, and used a special and expensive tool to measure with... a very small stick with a drywall screw driven through it projecting exactly 1 1/4". I think a different tool would work as well... a stiff wire bent sharply to 90 degrees, and with one side trimmed to exact length.

The lever you are working on should be on the bottom and marked in some way so you are sure you get all 3. It would be easy to miss one when turning the engine.

Naturally, when you are finished you will want to adjust the pedal for free travel. On the '48, the pedal adjustment is on the rod on the inside, rather than on the pedal externally. You'll have to pull a pin on the yoke to adjust the length of the rod. :( :( :(
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Dave F.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dave F. » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:17 pm

George, would I need to make the rod longer or shorter? I would think longer? I think my clutch adjustment is ok. I don't feel bouncing or vibration in the pedal. Thanks Dave F.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:42 pm

Dave,

I expect the rod needs to be lengthened. If you have a parts manual, you can refer to page 3 of section 7 and note the relation of #8 to #9. Also, make sure the bolt holding #10 and #11 together is tight.

This is not a fun plce to work! :lol: :shock:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

Hummmm.

Postby SundaySailor » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:23 pm

"I only did it once through the hand hole, and used a special and expensive tool to measure with... a very small stick with a drywall screw driven through it" I swaneee. Someone else has taken up some of the verbage I've had to use with working on gov't 'puters. I've used $15,000 tools to open stuck CD-ROM drives with. Only they were called paper clips. Good one George! Once again, you have my respect. You too, Big Dog.

Rick :)
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Return to “Farmall Cub”