fired up the fisher poppa bear today

Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:25 pm

cleaned the chimney and all the pipes,went out and got a couple pieces of cherry wood and fired it up. coldest day of the year here so far.can't say enough about burning the wood. it should be some good sleeping tonight. :-:-): :-:-): :-:-):

Re: fired up the fisher poppa bear today

Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:10 pm

Had both Vermont Castings going all weekend very cold today staying close to the stove in the living room tonight. Hate to go out for more wood haha

Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:15 am

My Fisher "Moma Bear" has been runnng in the basement for a few weeks. I bought fuel oil too early this year; before the price fell. The stove keeps the floors warm and reduces the amount of oil I use.
Poor old Fisher. Copy-cats and patent infringement drove him out of business. My stove is one of his first, bought by a neighbor in the early 70's.

Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:41 pm

virginia mike, i know you have to love it. my stove was a barn find out at a local turkey farm. i brought it home took the feet off and to a local machinist (they were bent) he straightened them out. i wire brushed it, it was covered with pigeon and chicken poo. taped off the evergreens and shiny stuff and took a bunch of high temp rattle cans and went to work. to say the least it has kept my family in the comfort zone many a year since. they should come with a warning though. i keep waking up out of a stupor every time i come in out of the cold and sit next to it. :lol:

Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:26 am

Central heat is nice, but nothing beats toasting you buns next to a stove after coming in from the cold.

If you remove that chrome ball from the door handle, and replace it with a 4" length of green sapling about 2 1/2" in diameter, you won't need gloves to open the door. Center drill the sapling with a 1/2" bit about half way.