This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Engine Work

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

Engine Work

Postby Bill V in Md » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:08 pm

Well, I took my '48 cub engine to a machine shop to be hot dipped (degreased) and to measure the cylinder bore and pistons. This shop is experienced at working with farm tractors in general, and cubs in particular. The shop recommends that the cylinders be bored out. Now we are talking $300-$400, and that does not include the pistons.

Funny, the only problems I was having before I decided to completely restore the tractor was a little noise in the transmission and sooty buildup on the spark plugs. I had tested the compression on the cylinders and the results were between 95-100 psig.

I was hoping to get by with only adding new rings, new bearings and lapping the valves. I guess I should have known that 50 year old tractors will most likely not comply with original manufacturer's recommendations for tolerances. This will not be a working tractor, but being as I've come this far, I can't imagine not finishing the job. So, this is gonna hurt the old pocketbook, and put a major hold on buying another tractor.

Any comments or recommendations or similar experiences - I would love to hear them. All this and my beloved Tennessee Vols getting creamed by Auburn - this has been a bad week..........Bill V.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:12 pm

Bill - you might as well grin and bear it. When it's all over and done, you'll be glad you did.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

jsmit
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jsmit » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:38 pm

I did similar work on my 52'. I did the whole shebang , bored .020 over, cleaned block and head, had head ground, had valves reseated and lapped in. Only worse, because I have (0) free time, mine has been in random stages of rebuild since 2+yrs ago! I am very close to the end now and am getting apprehensive about my letting it sit around so long. I also rebuilt the governer, final drives, front end, new bearings, pto, and am currently rebuilding the touch control, not to mention new tires. Mine ran well beforehand but leaked every fluid from every gasket and seal, and that just got under my skin!!! I really broke the rule: Don't fix it, if it ain't broke! As a result, Im into mine for way more than its worth, but I would do it again in a second. It was my first rebuilt and I learned a hell of a lot, it was worth every second, hope this makes you feel a little better

Best Regards,
Jason :)
Cub is running again! Just troubleshooting now!

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:07 am

Jason, I second that thought. I learned a whole lot rebuilding that little
engine. What a thrill to drive it in the parade at Cubarama! :lol: :lol:
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

nosih
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby nosih » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:16 am

That sound a bit high for the machine shop work. When I rebuilt the engine in my cub, the acid was cost $25, rebore cylinders to 0.040 $8/hole, Valve job $45. I supplied all the parts. The sad thing was I had to put a NOS crankshaft in it, as the original was cracked in the rear main..

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:21 am

Don't know about the machine shop prices in you area, but I expect they are considerably higher than my area, I know most things are. I had an engine for my cub rebuilt about 2 years ago. I disassembled the engine, and due to my health problems, Cub-bud and his Dad reassembled it for me. The machine shop charges for boring, grinding valves, turning crank and parts (pistons, rings, bearings, etc.) was $498.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”