This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Valve Seating

Farmall C, Super C Tractors, 200 & 230 1948-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Valve Seating

Postby Harold R » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:58 pm

I'm in the process of putting new valves in the Super C head. While the valves were rusted, and pitted with water damage, the seats looked relatively good, as the head was reworked prior to it's long outdoor sit. Once I stripped the head down, cleaned it up, it looked like new valves and guides were all it needed. I have installed the new guides, and am in the process of lapping the valves to insure a good seal, but wondered......how can I test the seal, or when do you know you're done lapping? The seats are about an inch recessed into the head to accomdate the stepped pistons. The valves looked seated correctly, but it's hard to see all the way around the valve due to the recess. I have held the valve closed with my finger and blown into the intake port. I get a lot of resistance.....but it isnt air tight. Should it be? I hate to put everything back together just to run a compression check. Is there anyway to do a leak test on the head? Maybe see it it will hold liquid for a while?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Re: Valve Seating

Postby grumpy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:58 pm

The experts will be here shortly but all the valve jobs I've done, I use prussion blue on the angle of the valve,insert it and spin a turn. if the valve seat shows blue all the way around you should be good to go. It will show if you have a spot that didn't clean up . If you have a good mark you should be good to go cause the valve will rotate anyway. just my .02 cents anyway. Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:59 pm

Take a magic marker and draw 4 lines accross the valves at 90 degrees. Lap them in. When the lines disappear you are golden.

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:55 pm

Take a magic marker and draw 4 lines accross the valves at 90 degrees. Lap them in. When the lines disappear you are golden.

Ahhh, OK. That sounds like a good idea. 8) Thanks.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:05 pm

If you see a hazy mark all around the valve and all around the seat you are good. If there is a skip on either you are still not done. The haze should be near the center for best heat disapation. Too near the large edge and you may burn the valve.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:32 pm

If you see a hazy mark all around the valve and all around the seat you are good. If there is a skip on either you are still not done. The haze should be near the center for best heat disapation. Too near the large edge and you may burn the valve.
This is the method I use for lapping valves.

Next suggestion is the have the valve seats touched up/ground. Fast, easy, accurate.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:26 am

I used Cecils tip and it work perfectly. When I came back in and revisited the thread, I saw Beacons post about the haze mark. I went back out to the shop and put a light on the valves edges and there it was, a hazy ring, running fairly consistant in the middle. Thanks guys for sharing that knowledge. 8)

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:20 pm

Glad to be of help. I learned about valve and seat cutting and lapping long before many of the people on the forum were born. Way back when I was 14 years old 1946, same year I graduated 8th grade in PS 29.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:38 pm

Use brake clean to see if they leak is another good trick the techs taught me.I do this on my rebuilds.Seems to hold true.Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:04 pm

There a "Youtube" video of a guy re-working a head off of an antique car....maybe an old chevy straight six, but anyhow he sounds like some of the sages on this forum......Probably forgot more than some of us will ever learn. If I can find it....I'll post a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCQIDTY2TeQ

Return to “Farmall C, Super C, 200 & 230”