This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

engine upgrade

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
LARRY BALL
10+ Years
10+ Years

engine upgrade

Postby LARRY BALL » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:34 pm

Has anyone successfully upgraded C-60 engine to a higher horsepower late model motor? if so, how was it accomplished? I wouldn't think by raising the compression ratio ,via different pistons, this would give more horsepower, only higher compression ratio. Or is it as I expect, "just not worth the expense and hassle" :roll: :roll: :roll:
LARRY BALL

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:00 pm

Never tried it myself, but from previous posts it appears there are several steps to ge the full benefits. The head has to be changed or some grinding done to clear the domed pistons, the intake manifold and carb have to be upgraded to the newer model, and the cam shaft has to be changed. Now that I've scared you with all that, you can get a gain by just putting in the domed pistons and grindidng the spots in the head. If your engine is worn you'll be amazed at the gain just from a rebuild.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:26 pm

Don't forget, increase the RPM's! That in itself probably produces the most HP gain. I don't think the 154 engine provided 15 HP, nor the 185-184 series provided 18 HP. Wishful thinking coming from the advertising department.

The domed pistons are not domed like a hemi. Only a portion of the piston is raised, shaped like a U. Picture 1/4 of the piston is diked for a dam, hardly powerful in appearance. It is not what I expected - I thought it was a damaged piston!

Mike Schmudlach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike Schmudlach » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:56 pm

The French Super Cubs increased the horspower by using a different carb and raised the rpms up to 2,000.
IH designers had a higher horsepower cub on the drawing board early on.
It was even called a "Super" Cub. It used a different head ( I believe one from the Cub baler engine.) There were also some other differences. I will have to dig out the blueprints I have on it from IH.
Mike
30 + tractors including 2 French Super Cubs, French Cubs, 1963 Industrial Cub, 1955 Cub Highcrop etc...German and French built IH tractors and some bigger IH tractors. Of course I have about 20 IH trucks and an IH refridge in the Shop.

Oscar Meier
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Oscar Meier » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:20 am

Not to be a poop - it would be easier to just get an A or Super A and, most likely, you would end up spending the same money.

My son and I work on trucks a little and just a few modifications add up quickly. If you were going to do a rebuild anyway - the domed pistons and a little grinding wouldn't be bad. I don't know anything beyond that would be worth it.
48 CUB & 52 Super A

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:34 am

Larry, George Willer is in the process of installing the engine from a 154 cub lo-boy into a standard cub. He may be able to answer your questions.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”