This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Belly Mounting a Grader Blade

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jmont54
10+ Years
10+ Years

Belly Mounting a Grader Blade

Postby jmont54 » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:44 pm

Hello:
I have by blade mounted in front of my cub but would like it mounted under tractor for grading my gravel road. Believe it would do a better job. I have a fast hitch IH Yellow and White cub. I know the parts that I need such as the subsitute draw bar and spacers, but have not been able to find them.

Does anyone know a possible source for these? I have seen diagrams on how to make the parts but I do not have anyone that can make them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
John Montgomery

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:49 pm

John,

Try this link:http://www.tm-tractor.com/gb/gb_001.htm

Give Tom a call and he will make your day :!: Really good guy :!: 8)

Albie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Albie » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:34 am

Hi John: Sems that I have 3 of the parts that are listed in the reference guide. I am in N.W. Pa and you can e mail me at sab@pathway.net AlBie

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:29 am

John:

Gordon Trail and myself have just had my friend PJ make up a bunch of parts for the Cub-54A blade, which we don't have. Both of our blades are early blades, but it now seems not exactly the McCormick Deering 47 blade.

Anyways, we had 2 substitute drawbars made, the blocks and rod for the front tool bar, had a couple pieces for the belly mount made AND had the :

for the lack of a better word, the doo-hickey with the spring that lifts the blade. I guess that is called a helper spring? Anyways, neither of us had one, Alton did, so borrowed his and had copies made.

Learned something. The spring for the blade is identical to the spring for the seat :shock: :!: :roll: :D

All told it cost about $340.00 Canadian for the whole thing - my share was $140.00. Gord had the extra parts made for him. We did pretty good considering it probably would have cost us $200.00 each minimum for the same parts - helper spring, sub draw bar, spacer blocks and bolt, used.

Any competent welding shop can make these parts up pretty easily. Sure saves on shipping - cause they weigh a lot :!:

I also had to have the 1" bolt for the trip mechanism rebuilt. You can just see it underneath the helper spring thingy. The threads on mine were so rusted I had to take a cold chisel to the nuts and then have a new 1"x4-1/2" bolt welded to the old shaft. Having that one made would probably break the bank.

I think I almost have enough of the parts made up now, that Gord and I will BOTH have our Cub-54 blades on our Cubs for this winter! Pics will be available whence they are completed.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Catfish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Catfish » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:31 pm

I don't believe you need the substitute drawbar as you can turn the regular drawbar around and mount the blade to it. It is just more practical with the substitute.
CatfishImage

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:55 pm

Catfish wrote:I don't believe you need the substitute drawbar as you can turn the regular drawbar around and mount the blade to it. It is just more practical with the substitute.

That's true. You will, however, have to mount the drawbar reversed in the REAR position. Wanting to keep the use of the drawbar is the usual reason for using the alternate drawbar.

This one (Scruffy) has a longer lift rod as well an the home made alternate drawbar. The longer lift rod eleminates the need for the "boomerang".

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:38 am

George:

Any chance I can get themeasurements/sketch of the lift rods?

Have you had a chance to read the other thread?

Thanks
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:38 am

Rudi wrote:George:

Any chance I can get themeasurements/sketch of the lift rods?

Have you had a chance to read the other thread?

Thanks

Rudi,

The rod is 5/8" with tight 90 degree bends in opposite directions... 24" apart (C to C) . A 1 3/4" piece of 1/4" x 3" angle with a hole makes the anchor bracket.

It works pretty good for down pressure.

George Willer

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:58 pm

George:

Thanks a bunch. I think I will have that one made. What about the Front lifting lever or is it the same one?

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:43 pm

What about the Front lifting lever or is it the same one?

Rudi,

The same as yours? No. This one came from a '63 Cub, but I don't know if it is the same age. Some parts for the front mount are missing so I expect to not worry about it... just make them.

When I get back firmly on my feet, I expect to mount a different blade on another tractor. Between Tyke and Scruffy I expect to have more fun moving snow than with the Ford... even though the blades are shorter. Man! That Ford steers hard.
George Willer

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:53 pm

George:

What I meant by the Front Lifting Rod is the info contained in this thread.

Front Lifting Rod - part # 650 136 R2. It seems to be a 5/8" rod as well.
Rear Lifting Rod - part # 650 135 R1 I am assuming is the one that is 24" C-C correct?

I imagine the Cubs are more fun than the Ford. Guy down the road bought my wife's Grandfathers 9N or is it a 2N????? He thinks it is nice, but I don't like it. He plows snow with it as well. I am not a Ferd person myself. I like RED :lol:

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:05 pm

I imagine the Cubs are more fun than the Ford. Guy down the road bought my wife's Grandfathers 9N or is it a 2N????? He thinks it is nice, but I don't like it. He plows snow with it as well. I am not a Ferd person myself. I like RED

Rudi,

Two of my mowing tractors are what I consider to be 9N's but most people say one is a 2N. I'm hardheaded, so since they are the same tractor.........

The snow plowing tractor is a Ford 641 with a blade on each end. I may not mount the blades this year.

George Willer

Return to “Farmall Cub”