This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

I have issues.

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mark In Richmond
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23069

I have issues.

Postby Mark In Richmond » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:53 pm

I have moved from restoring cub cadets (15) to cubs (2) to loboys (1) now I picked up a 140. I can't stop this madness.
The mechanics are done and I've begun the tear down degreasing, blasting, rust removal and should be priming in the next two weeks.

I'm going to spary Iron Gard this time with an old school siphon gun instead of PPG using my HVLP gun. I've seen some real nice Cubs done with the Iron Gard.

I have no room to keep this 140 so if anyone is interested after the paint is on if you want o finish it up with the detail work let me know. If not I'll finish it up but it's got to go because I have a 1940 Ford coming into the shop and the 140 will have to find a new home.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: I have issues.

Postby Bigdog » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:02 am

Mark - you sound like a busy boy! You should not have any trouble finding a home for the 140. They are a very popular tractor.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:48 am

Mark In Richmond wrote:I'm going to spary Iron Gard this time with an old school siphon gun instead of PPG using my HVLP gun. I've seen some real nice Cubs done with the Iron Gard.

I don't know what happened, but my part of the post did not show up. here goes: Why the siphon gun? Is it difficult to shoot the alkyds with an HVLP gun?
I just painted a tractor this year with Nason and the wheels were painted with PPG. HVLP. The finish looks great, but it seems to me that the paint is very brittle. I painted in pieces and that is one of the issues. I think that the alkyds being a softer paint stand up a little better to a nut being tightened. The paint will give way but I have have cracking, say around the lug bolts on the wheels that needs to be fixed. I am wondering if Imron would be a significantly better paint for durability as the Dupont supplier said. He told me the old Centuari paint on my Tiger was far better than the Nason for durability but Imron was better still. The cost, however is out of sight. The one thing I did not like about Iron Guard is that the paint lifted around the gas cap. Now I have a new cap and it does seal, but the damage has been done. I expect the Nason to hold the color a lot better than the alkyd paint.
Last edited by bob in CT on Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:27 am

you have old iron disease! I have had it for many years. I have 14 cub tractors I I-9 international tractor, 1 57 IH truck, 6 cub cadets and a bunch of Ih stuff that I cant remember all i have. but its there! two JD 440 dozers a IH skid steer. There is probabley more than that but i would have to look to verify .at one time I had 25 farmall cubs, 2 IH dozers, tons of impliments for cubs and other IH tractors, I had sevrial A series tractors. If I had the money I would fill up the whole 2 acres with tractors.Mainly cubs! BUt hey I dont drink or smoke and finally got a woman that is into tractor also.She is a keeper!
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Clark Thompson wrote:She is a keeper!

I agree, Clark. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Mark In Richmond
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mark In Richmond » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:18 pm

Imron is great stuff but requires far more safety equipment (SCBA) and very high dollar. But the safety issues far outweigh the cost.
I’m using the siphon gun because I’m out of practice. Well really my HVLP gun was dropped resulting in me having to procure a new one and I’ve had my eye on an upgrade and don’t want to spend any extra right now. (I’m hoping that I can write to the new President and he will bail me out or buy me a new one). :lol: :( :censored:
Regarding the paint lifting around the gas cap was it clean because any hint of old gas or oil will result in this issue.. (I’m sure that you are aware of that just thought I would slip that in for thr 1st time painters). I agree that the Nason will hold the color a lot better than the alkyd paint. A Base Coat Clear Coat gives a great finish but some say its too much finish for these tractors. (I like it but that’s my preference).
I figure I’ll give the Iron Gard a try. What the heck at least I’ll know and be able to give everyone my two cents.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:20 pm

Mark, will you use a hardener with the IronGard?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:28 pm

Mark:

I have used the Centari line as well as the Nason. I like them both, however the Nason does tend to crack especially if you use the catalyst according to the directions. I reduced it by about 5% the last time and it didn't crack as much and the use time increased marginally as well. Centari doesn't crack as bad. I have also used the Iron Gard, and I like it. The only thing I don't much like is that without the catalyst, gas spills and of course sunlight will fade the finish....

But, hey.. Iron Gard is easier.

I like my syphon system, not a fan of HVLP, and definitely not going down the SCBA highway at all.... :roll: :( :!: I may as well stop playing with Cubs if I were to do that... put me in the poor house.

As far as the issues thing.. I keep telling Em, I am staying out of trouble, not getting into politics or advocacy issues, so no stress.. plus we get to eat from the garden.. seems to work..

Started off with 1 Cub, now have 3.5 with 2 whole, 1 CC, 1 Co-Op and 1 Crapsman... and a Putt Putt :big smile:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:35 pm

Mark In Richmond wrote:Imron is great stuff but requires far more safety equipment (SCBA) and very high dollar. But the safety issues far outweigh the cost.
I’m using the siphon gun because I’m out of practice. Well really my HVLP gun was dropped resulting in me having to procure a new one and I’ve had my eye on an upgrade and don’t want to spend any extra right now. (I’m hoping that I can write to the new President and he will bail me out or buy me a new one). :lol: :( :censored:
Regarding the paint lifting around the gas cap was it clean because any hint of old gas or oil will result in this issue.. (I’m sure that you are aware of that just thought I would slip that in for thr 1st time painters). I agree that the Nason will hold the color a lot better than the alkyd paint. A Base Coat Clear Coat gives a great finish but some say its too much finish for these tractors. (I like it but that’s my preference).
I figure I’ll give the Iron Gard a try. What the heck at least I’ll know and be able to give everyone my two cents.

I bought a remote air supply set up and get all suited up to shoot. It is a cheapo system with a big hood and an air pump. I have 100 feet of hose so the intake is well away from where I shoot. It is clunky, but cool with lots of fresh air. I think you can see a lot better with the pro systems and visibility was may biggest problem. Shooting outside did not help either as the sun was your friend and enemy as you walked around the parts. had to shoot outside. I use 15 mil nitrile gloves to mix the paint and then I have the thinner ones for handling the gun. What most don't know is that you can get asthma from the hardener by skin contact as well as breathing the stuff. Safety first.

The alkyd paint problems came from the gas spilling on the paint surface from a bad seal on the cap. It is not very forgiving. The metal was prepped, the problem came from the outside in rather than weeping under. So not really lifting but discoloration and attack of the finish.

Mark In Richmond
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mark In Richmond » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:29 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Mark, will you use a hardener with the IronGard?

Hardener is not required but of course I will use it. Also it will be thinned per the directions. Once again I must say that proper PPE must be used. Don't use any paint, even from a can, but more so if spraying with a gun, without the proper PPE. (I think I beat that horse to death).

Mark In Richmond
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mark In Richmond » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:27 pm

The Iron Gard flows very well and covered very well. It's good paint and I will use it again if I do another IH. (Why am I say saying "if"). I'm happy with the results.
With a few more hours work I should have this one on the road.

2cubs2cases
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 2cubs2cases » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:48 pm

Mark for the price I am impressed with iron guard enamel.
1956 Farmall Cub,1952 Cub Hi Crop, 1959 Case 420b, 1960 Case 530ck Backhoe

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:42 pm

Mark:

Spiffy !! :big smile:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Mark In Richmond
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mark In Richmond » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:50 pm

Just need to install the lights.

Mark In Richmond
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mark In Richmond » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:33 pm

The darn front transmission bearing and seal needs to be replaced.
I'm looking for a splitting stand or some safe way that can hold the weight of the 140 and replace the bearing.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”